Aggregate and Welfare Effects of Redistribution of Wealth Under Inflation and Price-Level Targeting
consequently, have different redistributional properties which is what we explore in this paper. For Canada, which has a positive net asset position with respect to the rest of the world in Canadian dollar-denominated claims, we show that the magnitude of the effects of an unexpected price level increase under IT is larger than under PT. Households’ wealth loss from a price level increase is matched by the gains of the government and foreigners. Even though this redistribution is zerosum, we observe positive effects on GDP due to the wealth loss, the lower value of the debt and its associated fiscal adjustment, and the non-linear effects on work effort of the redistribution of wealth across households. Although the effects on GDP are positive, the direction of the change in the weighted welfare of households depends on the fiscal policy.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drolet, Marie & Morissette, Rene, 1997. "Working More? Working Less? What Do Canadian Workers Prefer?," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1997104e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Matthias Doepke & Martin Schneider, 2006.
"Inflation as a Redistribution Shock: Effects on Aggregates and Welfare,"
NBER Working Papers
12319, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Doepke, Matthias & Schneider, Martin, 2006. "Inflation as a Redistribution Shock: Effects on Aggregates and Welfare," CEPR Discussion Papers 5939, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthias Doepke, . "Inflation as a Redistribution Shock: Effects on Aggregates and Welfare," UCLA Economics Online Papers 412, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sérgio, 2003.
"Government Finance in the Wake of Currency Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3939, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum, 2005. "Government Finance in the Wake of Currency Crises," 2005 Meeting Papers 429, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 2003. "Government Finance in the Wake of Currency Crises," NBER Working Papers 9786, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 2003. "Government Finance in the Wake of Currency Crises," RCER Working Papers 501, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1996.
"Price-level Targeting versus Inflation Targeting: A Free Lunch?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1510, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1999. "Price-Level Targeting versus Inflation Targeting: A Free Lunch?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(3), pages 277-95, August.
- Andrés Erosa & Gustavo Ventura, 2000.
"On Inflation as a Regressive Consumption Tax,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
20001, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Steve Ambler, 2009.
"Price-Level Targeting and Stabilization Policy: A Review,"
Bank of Canada Review,
Bank of Canada, vol. 2009(Spring), pages 21-31.
- Steve Ambler, 2007. "Price-Level Targeting and Stabilization Policy: A Review," Discussion Papers 07-11, Bank of Canada.
- Allan M. Maslove & J. C. R. Rowley, 1975. "Inflation and Redistribution," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 8(3), pages 399-409, August.
- Matthias Doepke & Martin Schneider, 2006. "Inflation and the Redistribution of Nominal Wealth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(6), pages 1069-1097, December.
- Stefania Albanesi, .
"Inflation and Inequality,"
199, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Césaire Meh & Yaz Terajima, 2008.
"Inflation, Nominal Portfolios, and Wealth Redistribution in Canada,"
Staff Working Papers
08-19, Bank of Canada.
- Césaire A. Meh & Yaz Terajima, 2011. "Inflation, nominal portfolios, and wealth redistribution in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 44(4), pages 1369-1402, November.
- Gaspar, Vítor & Smets, Frank & Vestin, David, 2007.
"Is time ripe for price level path stability?,"
Working Paper Series
0818, European Central Bank.
- Bach, G L & Stephenson, James B, 1974. "Inflation and the Redistribution of Wealth," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Vestin, David, 2006. "Price-level versus inflation targeting," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1361-1376, October.
- Agathe Côté, 2007. "Price-Level Targeting," Discussion Papers 07-8, Bank of Canada.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed008:381. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.