An empirical investigation of the arbitrage pricing theory in a frontier stock market: evidence from Bangladesh
Although the existing literature of Arbitrage Pricing Theory (APT) on different categories of stock markets is vast, it is non-existent in the case of frontier stock markets (defined as very small capital markets). This paper fills this gap by investigating how APT performs in a frontier stock market. To address the common problem of multi-collinearity in macro variables, this study uses principal component analysis (PCA) as a robustness check on the previous results. The results confirm evidence of one significant macroeconomic factor in the Dhaka stock market - a frontier stock market of Bangladesh. This result is comparable to that of some emerging (larger than frontier markets) stock markets.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Indian Journal of Economics and Business 04.10(2011): pp. 443-465|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:sae:ausman:v:28:y:2003:i:2:p:119-139 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shanken, Jay, 1982. " The Arbitrage Pricing Theory: Is It Testable?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(5), pages 1129-40, December.
- Roger E.A. Farmer, 2009.
"Confidence, Crashes and Animal Spirits,"
NBER Working Papers
14846, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, 2004. "The Capital Asset Pricing Model: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 25-46, Summer.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1981. "Stock Returns, Real Activity, Inflation, and Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 545-65, September.
- Syed Basher & M. Kabir Hassan & Anisul Islam, 2007. "Time-varying volatility and equity returns in Bangladesh stock market," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(17), pages 1393-1407.
- Ouysse, Rachida & Kohn, Robert, 2010. "Bayesian variable selection and model averaging in the arbitrage pricing theory model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(12), pages 3249-3268, December.
- Brown, Stephen J & Weinstein, Mark I, 1983. " A New Approach to Testing Asset Pricing Models: The Bilinear Paradigm," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 711-43, June.
- Kaul, Gautam, 1987. "Stock returns and inflation : The role of the monetary sector," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 253-276, June.
- Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1980. " An Empirical Investigation of the Arbitrage Pricing Theory," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1073-1103, December.
- Chen, Su-Jane & Jordan, Bradford D., 1993. "Some empirical tests in the arbitrage pricing theory: Macro variables vs. derived factors," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 65-89, February.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "An Intertemporal General Equilibrium Model of Asset Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 363-84, March.
- Shanken, Jay, 1992. " The Current State of the Arbitrage Pricing Theory," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1569-74, September.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Erdinc Altay, 2003. "The Effect of Macroeconomic Factors on Asset Returns: A Comparative Analysis of the German and the Turkish Stock Markets in an APT Framework," Finance 0307006, EconWPA.
- George A. Akerlof, 2009. "How Human Psychology Drives the Economy and Why It Matters," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1175-1175.
- Bansal, Ravi & Viswanathan, S, 1993. " No Arbitrage and Arbitrage Pricing: A New Approach," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1231-62, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:38675. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.