[The Effects of Market Competition, Managerial Incentives and Shareholders' Rights on Corporate Governance: Empirical Analysis Based on China's Listed Retail Firms]
This paper, using the total factor productivity in the Cobb-Douglas production function, empirically investigates into the effects of market competition, managerial incentives and shareholders' rights on corporate governance under the framework of pooled OLS and fixed effects regression method. In this paper, I find that (1) there exists a complementary relation between shareholders' rights and managerial incentives in terms of corporate governance and (2) the effect of shareholders' rights on corporate governance is dependent on market competition. The more intense the market competition, the less shareholders' rights contribute to better governance, and vice versa. These findings provide some new views to the study of corporate governance.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:||May 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nickell, S.J., 1993.
"Competition and Crporate Performance,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99155, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Paul A. Gompers & Joy L. Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2002.
"Corporate Governance and Equity Prices,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
02-32, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Klaus M. Schmidt, 1997. "Managerial Incentives and Product Market Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(2), pages 191-213.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Oliver D. Hart, 1980. "Takeover Bids, the Free-Rider Problem, and the Theory of the Corporation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(1), pages 42-64, Spring.
- Oliver D. Hart, 1983. "The Market Mechanism as an Incentive Scheme," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 366-382, Autumn.
- Hart, Oliver, 1995. "Firms, Contracts, and Financial Structure," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288817.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:38598. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.