The performance of Italian airports
The aim of this work is the analysis of the operational efficiencies of the major Italian airports. The study is based on a cross-sectional, time series dataset of 14 Italian airports for the period 2000-2004. In the sample there are the two international airport systems of Rome and Milan, each composed by two airports, and ten regional airports. The analysis of the industry characteristics have pointed out that both structural and institutional factors cause an high degrees of dissimilarities among the 14 Italians airports. In this framework comparing the efficiency could be troublesome and misleading at the same time. Thus the methodological goal of the paper has been the application of two multivariate techniques, factorial and cluster analysis, in order to reduces dissimilarities and improve the results of the efficiency measures. The two multivariate techniques help in determining variables which mostly affect the airports operational efficiencies. The operational efficiencies have been estimated using non parametric models. In particular, the modified Torqvinst index has been employed to measure both Total Factor Productivity (TFP) and Variable Factor Productivity (VFP) indexes. Moreover, in order to remove the effects of the variables beyond the managerial control the residual Total Factor Productivity (RTFP) and Variable Factor Productivity (RVFP) indexes have been computed.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 2004. "Alternative Forms of Economic Regulation and their Efficiency Implications for Airports," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 38(2), pages 217-246, May.
- Hooper, P.G & Hensher, D.A, 1997. "Measuring total factor productivity of airports-- an index number approach," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 249-259, December.
- Yoshida, Yuichiro & Fujimoto, Hiroyoshi, 2004. "Japanese-airport benchmarking with the DEA and endogenous-weight TFP methods: testing the criticism of overinvestment in Japanese regional airports," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 533-546, November.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "Multilateral Comparisons of Output, Input, and Productivity Using Superlative Index Numbers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 73-86, March.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Yu, Chunyan & Fu, Xiaowen, 2003. "A comparative analysis of productivity performance of the world's major airports: summary report of the ATRS global airport benchmarking research reportâ€”2002," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 285-297.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2001. "Relative efficiency of European airports," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 183-192, July.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2003. "Inefficiencies and scale economies of European airport operations," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 341-361, September.
- Sarkis, Joseph & Talluri, Srinivas, 2004. "Performance based clustering for benchmarking of US airports," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 329-346, June.
- Oum, Tae H. & Adler, Nicole & Yu, Chunyan, 2006. "Privatization, Corporatization, Ownership Forms and their Effects on the Performance of the World’s Major Airports," 47th Annual Transportation Research Forum, New York, New York, March 23-25, 2006 208026, Transportation Research Forum.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35790. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.