Monetary policy, bank size and bank lending: Evidence from Australia
The transmission of monetary policy may hold the key to explaining the effects of policy on the economy. The objective of the study is to assess the importance of the bank lending channel in the transmission of monetary policy in Australia. In this paper, we found that the effectiveness of monetary policy varies with the size of the bank as well as the type of the loan. For different asset size and different kinds of loans, the effect of monetary policy is different. Thus, policy has distributional effects on bank loans that depend on asset size and industry in the economy.
|Date of creation:||26 Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matousek, Roman & Sarantis, Nicholas, 2009. "The bank lending channel and monetary transmission in Central and Eastern European countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 321-334, June.
- Kuan-Min Wang, 2010. "Expected and Unexpected Impulses of Monetary Policy on the Interest Pass-Through Mechanism in Asian Countries," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 11(1), pages 95-137, May.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Alan S. Blinder, 1989.
"The federal funds rate and the channels of monetary transmission,"
89-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Bernanke, Ben S & Blinder, Alan S, 1992. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transmission," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 901-21, September.
- Ben Bernanke, 1990. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transnission," NBER Working Papers 3487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anil K Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein & David W. Wilcox, 1992.
"Monetary Policy and Credit Conditions: Evidence From the Composition of External Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
4015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kashyap, Anil K & Stein, Jeremy C & Wilcox, David W, 1993. "Monetary Policy and Credit Conditions: Evidence from the Composition of External Finance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 78-98, March.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein & David W. Wilcox, 1991. "Monetary policy and credit conditions: evidence from the composition of external finance," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 154, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Amemiya, Takeshi & MaCurdy, Thomas E, 1986. "Instrumental-Variable Estimation of an Error-Components Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 869-80, July.
- Carlyn Ramlogan, 2004. "The transmission mechanism of monetary policy: Evidence from the Caribbean," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(5), pages 435-447, October.
- Jui-Chuan (Della) Chang & Dennis W. Jansen, 2005. "The Effect of Monetary Policy on Bank Lending and Aggregate Output: Asymmetries from Nonlinearities in the Lending Channel," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 6(1), pages 129-153, May.
- Tomoya Suzuki, 2004. "Is the Lending Channel of Monetary Policy Dominant in Australia?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 80(249), pages 145-156, 06.
- Altunbas, Yener & Fazylov, Otabek & Molyneux, Philip, 2002. "Evidence on the bank lending channel in Europe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2093-2110, November.
- Jan Kakes & Jan-Egbert Sturm, 2001.
"Monetary policy and bank lending. Evidence from German banking groups,"
MEB Series (discontinued)
2001-1, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Kakes, Jan & Sturm, Jan-Egbert, 2002. "Monetary policy and bank lending:: Evidence from German banking groups," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2077-2092, November.
- Ashcraft, Adam B., 2006.
"New Evidence on the Lending Channel,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(3), pages 751-775, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35033. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.