Abuse of collective dominance under the competition law of the Russian Federation
In 2006, Russia amended its competition law and added the concepts of “collective dominance” and its abuse. This was seen as an attempt to address the common problem of “conscious parallelism” among firms in concentrated industries. Critics feared that the enforcement of this provision would become tantamount to government regulation of prices. In this paper we examine the enforcement experience to date, looking especially closely at sanctions imposed on firms in the oil industry. Some difficulties and complications experienced in enforcement are analyzed, and some alternative strategies for addressing anticompetitive behavior in concentrated industries discussed.
|Date of creation:||22 Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Schmalensee, 1978. "Entry Deterrence in the Ready-to-Eat Breakfast Cereal Industry," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 305-327, Autumn.
- Billard, Olivier & Ivaldi, Marc & Mitraille, Sebastien, 2011. "Evaluation of the Risks of Collective Dominance in the Audit Industry in France," CEPR Discussion Papers 8417, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pittman, Russell, 2007. "Restructuring the Russian electricity sector: Re-creating California?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1872-1883, March.
- Guido Friebel & Sergei Guriev & Russell Pittman & Elizaveta Shevyakhova & Anna Tomov�, 2006.
"Railroad Restructuring in Russia and Central and Eastern Europe: One Solution for All Problems?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(3), pages 251-271, August.
- Russell Pittman & Sergei Guriev & Guido Friebel & Anna Tomova & Elizaveta Cheviakhova, 2005. "Railroad Restructuring in Russia and Central and Eastern Europe: One Solution for All Problems?," Industrial Organization 0504021, EconWPA.
- Harry Broadman, 2000. "Reducing Structural Dominance and Entry Barriers in Russian Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 155-175, September.
- Broadman, Harry G., 2000. "Reducing structural dominance and entry barriers in Russian industry," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2330, The World Bank.
- S. Avdasheva & A. Shastitko, 2004. "Industrial Policy and Competition Policy: Problems of Interaction and Lessons for Russia," Problems of Economic Transition, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(6), pages 48-65, October.
- repec:cpi:atchrn:8.2.2011:i=6068 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:33742. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.