Economic incentives for optimal sulphur abatement in Europe
This paper reviews and develops a theoretical and empirical representation of economic incentives for the implementation of pollution control strategies. A number of alternative available economic instruments may be thought of which, if applied internationally, could encourage implementation of the desired abatement strategies by countries. The paper considers means of pushing the countries to minimize abatement cost with them. A comparison between the pollution targets achieved by the imposition of a uniform charge rate and by differentiated charge rates is discussed and empirical results are provided with associated conclusions. These results are then compared with a simple standards setting in the form of critical loads, in order to see in an empirical way if economic instruments work better than regulations.
|Date of creation:||1993|
|Publication status:||Published in Energy Sources 5.17(1995): pp. 517-534|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Hoel, 1991.
"Efficient International Agreements for Reducing Emissions of CO2,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 93-108.
- Hoel, M., 1990. "Efficient International Agreements For Reducing Emissions Of Co2," Memorandum 06/1990, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Tietenberg, T H, 1990. "Economic Instruments for Environmental Regulation," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 17-33, Spring.
- Halkos, George, 1993. "An evaluation of the direct costs of abatement under the main desulphurisation technologies," MPRA Paper 32588, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George J. Stigler, 1971. "The Theory of Economic Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 2(1), pages 3-21, Spring.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1974.
"Prices vs. Quantities,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 41(4), pages 477-491.
- Besanko, David, 1987. "Performance versus design standards in the regulation of pollution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 19-44, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:33705. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.