Economic incentives for optimal sulphur abatement in Europe
This paper reviews and develops a theoretical and empirical representation of economic incentives for the implementation of pollution control strategies. A number of alternative available economic instruments may be thought of which, if applied internationally, could encourage implementation of the desired abatement strategies by countries. The paper considers means of pushing the countries to minimize abatement cost with them. A comparison between the pollution targets achieved by the imposition of a uniform charge rate and by differentiated charge rates is discussed and empirical results are provided with associated conclusions. These results are then compared with a simple standards setting in the form of critical loads, in order to see in an empirical way if economic instruments work better than regulations.
|Date of creation:||1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Energy Sources 5.17(1995): pp. 517-534|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tietenberg, T H, 1990. "Economic Instruments for Environmental Regulation," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 17-33, Spring.
- Halkos, George, 1993. "An evaluation of the direct costs of abatement under the main desulphurisation technologies," MPRA Paper 32588, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hoel, M., 1990.
"Efficient International Agreements For Reducing Emissions Of Co2,"
06/1990, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Michael Hoel, 1991. "Efficient International Agreements for Reducing Emissions of CO2," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 93-108.
- repec:oup:restud:v:41:y:1974:i:4:p:477-91 is not listed on IDEAS
- Besanko, David, 1987. "Performance versus design standards in the regulation of pollution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 19-44, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:33705. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.