India’s Outward Foreign Direct Investment: Closed Doors to Open Souk
Abstract: Spectacular liberalisation of trade and investment policies opened the floodgate of capital flows in and out of India from the mid 1990s. This colossal capital flows facilitated the rapid economic growth and raised the country’s profile as one of the super powers in the region. The recent surge of outward foreign direct investment (OFDI) from India has a significant balance of payments as well as enormous socio economic effect in securing the country’s position as a new economic power in the global context. Since the study on the OFDI is sparse, this paper attempts to contribute to the literature by examining the major determinants of OFDI from India using the cointegration and Vector Error Correction Model over 1970 and 2009. The results of our study indicate that the dramatic financial and trade liberalisation has instigated the gigantic outflow of investment and acquisition by India’s firms. Furthermore, the domestic economic environment including the growing human capital stocks, increasing international competitiveness, large influx of inflow of foreign capital and increased domestic savings are positively and significantly influencing India’s huge outward capital flows in recent decade. However, improvement in domestic technological capabilities, rising standard of living and increased interest rates are deterrents to the OFDI of the country in the long run. Granger causality test also indicates that while all the above mentioned independent variables are Granger causing OFDI, nevertheless, outward FDI does not Granger cause any of the factors determining the OFDI from India.
|Date of creation:||15 Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Root, Franklin R & Ahmed, Ahmed A, 1979. "Empirical Determinants of Manufacturing Direct Foreign Investment in Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(4), pages 751-767, July.
- Suma Athreye & Sandeep Kapur, 2009. "Introduction: The internationalization of Chinese and Indian firms: trends, motivations and strategy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(2), pages 209-221, April.
- repec:eme:ijsepp:v:32:y:2005:i:6:p:510-519 is not listed on IDEAS
- Goh, Soo Khoon & Wong, Koi Nyen, 2011. "Malaysia's outward FDI: The effects of market size and government policy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 497-510, May.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, 2004. "The determinants of outward foreign direct investment: a firm-level analysis of Indian manufacturing," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 619-639.
- Kravis, Irving B. & Lipsey, Robert E., 1982.
"The location of overseas production and production for export by U.S. multinational firms,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 201-223, May.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1980. "The Location of Overseas Production and Production for Export by U.S. Multinational Firms," NBER Working Papers 0482, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Love, 2003. "Technology sourcing versus technology exploitation: an analysis of US foreign direct investment flows," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(15), pages 1667-1678.
- Nagesh Kumar, 2006. "Emerging Multinationals : Trends, Patterns and Determinants of Outward Investment by Indian Enterprises," Microeconomics Working Papers 22108, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- B Elango & Chinmay Pattnaik, 2007. "Building capabilities for international operations through networks: a study of Indian firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 38(4), pages 541-555, July.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2007:i:14:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Apergis Nicholas, 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment Inward and Foreign Direct Investment Outward: Evidence from Panel Unit Root and Cointegration Tests with a Certain Number of Structural Changes," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2009. "Outward Direct Investment from India," Departmental Working Papers 2009-14, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Louis T. Wells, Jr., 1993. "Mobile Exporters: New Foreign Investors in East Asia," NBER Chapters, in: Foreign Direct Investment, pages 173-196 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David L. Carr & James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 1998.
"Estimating the Knowledge-Capital Model of the Multinational Enterprise,"
NBER Working Papers
6773, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David L. Carr & James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 2001. "Estimating the Knowledge-Capital Model of the Multinational Enterprise," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 693-708, June.
- Tuck Cheong Tang & Koi Nyen Wong, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Electronics Exports: Exploratory Empirical Evidence from Malaysia's Top Five Electronics Exports," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(14), pages 1-8.
- Ferrantino, Michael J., 1992. "Transaction costs and the expansion of Third-World multinationals," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 451-456, April.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1980. "Monopolistic Advantages and Foreign Involvement by U.S. Manufacturing Industry," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 102-122, March.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2005. "Outward Foreign Direct Investment from India: Recent Trends and Patterns," MPRA Paper 12358, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wheeler, David & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "International investment location decisions : The case of U.S. firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 57-76, August.
- Lee, Jaymin, 1986. "Determinants of offshore production in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-13.
- Kueh, Jerome Swee-Hui & Puah, Chin-Hong & Abu Mansor, Shazali, 2009. "Empirical analysis on emerging issues of Malaysia outward FDI from macroeconomic perspective," MPRA Paper 37680, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tolentino, Paz Estrella, 2008. "The determinants of the outward foreign direct investment of China and India: Whither the home country?," MERIT Working Papers 049, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Ghosh Indradeep, 2007. "The Relation between Trade and FDI in Developing Countries -- A Panel Data Approach," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 7(3), pages 1-32, October.
- Caves, Richard E, 1974. "Causes of Direct Investment: Foreign Firms' Shares in Canadian and United Kingdom Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(3), pages 279-293, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:32828. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.