A Random Parameter Logit model for modeling Health Care Provider Choice in Bolivia
In this paper we model health care provider choice in Bolivia with a Random Parameter Logit (RPL) using MECOVI data during the period 1999 and 2000. To our knowledge this is the first time that a RPL is used for modeling health care provider choice in Bolivia. We found that price and income are determinants of the decision choice of health care provider. Increasing government prices or fees shift the demand from government to private health facilities for children and women. In addition, women are more sensitive than children and adults to changes in price and income. The perception of Quality is significant just for private health facilities except for children. Finally, people would rather private instead of government facilities and self care treatment when they are ill.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Akin, John S, et al, 1986. "The Demand for Primary Health Care Services in the Bicol Region of the Philippines," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(4), pages 755-82, July.
- Akin, John S. & Guilkey, David K. & Hazel?Denton, E., 1995. "Quality of services and demand for health care in Nigeria: A multinomial probit estimation," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 40(11), pages 1527-1537, June.
- Alderman, Harold & Lavy, Victor, 1996. "Household Responses to Public Health Services: Cost and Quality Tradeoffs," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 3-22, February.
- Dor, Avi & Gertler, Paul & van der Gaag, Jacques, 1987. "Non-price rationing and the choice of medical care providers in rural Cote d'Ivoire," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 291-304, December.
- Kenkel, Don, 1990. "Consumer Health Information and the Demand for Medical Care," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(4), pages 587-95, November.
- BOLDUC, Denis & LACROIX, Guy & MULLER, Christophe, 1994.
"The Choice of Medical Providers in Rural Bénin: a Comparison of Discrete Choice Model,"
Cahiers de recherche
9411, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Bolduc, Denis & Lacroix, Guy & Muller, Christophe, 1996. "The choice of medical providers in rural Benin: A comparison of discrete choice models," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 477-498, August.
- John Geweke & Michael Keane & David Runkle, 1994.
"Alternative computational approaches to inference in the multinomial probit model,"
170, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Geweke, John & Keane, Michael P & Runkle, David, 1994. "Alternative Computational Approaches to Inference in the Multinomial Probit Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(4), pages 609-32, November.
- Munkin, Murat K. & Trivedi, Pravin K., 2003. "Bayesian analysis of a self-selection model with multiple outcomes using simulation-based estimation: an application to the demand for healthcare," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 197-220, June.
- Paul J. Gertler & Luis Locay & Warren C. Sanderson, 1987.
"Are User Fees Regressive? The Welfare Implications of Health Care Financing Proposals in Peru,"
NBER Working Papers
2299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gertler, Paul & Locay, Luis & Sanderson, Warren, 1987. "Are user fees regressive? : The welfare implications of health care financing proposals in Peru," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 67-88.
- Harris, Katherine M. & Keane, Michael P., 1998. "A model of health plan choice:: Inferring preferences and perceptions from a combination of revealed preference and attitudinal data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 131-157, November.
- Keane, Michael P, 1992. "A Note on Identification in the Multinomial Probit Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(2), pages 193-200, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:3263. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.