An alternative use of the Verdoorn law at the Portuguese nuts II level
With this study we want to test the validity of the well known “Verdoorn´s Law” which considers the relationship between the growth of productivity and output in the case of the Portuguese economy at a regional and sectoral levels (NUTs II) for the period 1995-1999. The importance of some additional variables in the original specification of Verdoorn´s Law is also tested, such as, trade flows, capital accumulation and labour concentration. The main objective of the study is to confirm the presence of economies to scale that characterise the polarisation process with cumulative causation properties, explaining regional divergence. By introducing new variables to the original specification of Verdoorn´s Law we intend to examine how the economies to scale are influenced by the consideration of factors related to the Polarisation (Keynensian tradition) and Agglomeration (spatial economics tradition) phenomena. The results obtained from the regression analysis based on panel estimation show that the original specification of Verdoorn´s Law is more robust and confirm the presence of increasing economies to scale at both, regional and sectoral levels. However, the additional variables related to trade flows, capital accumulation and labour concentration have few influence on the performance of economies to scale.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martinho, Vítor João Pereira Domingues, 2011.
"An alternative use of the Verdoorn law at the Portuguese nuts II level,"
32189, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vitor Joao Pereira Domingues Martinho, 2011. "An Alternative Use of the Verdoorn Law at the Portuguese NUTs II Level," Papers 1110.5548, arXiv.org.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- A. P. Thirlwall, 2007. "Regional Problems are "Balance-of-Payments" Problems," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(sup1), pages S89-S95.
- Rowthorn, R E, 1979. "A Note on Verdoorn's Law," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(353), pages 131-33, March.
- Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Fragmentation and multinational production," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 935-945, April.
- Elias Soukiazis & Vitor Martinho, 2005. "Economias à Escala e Endogeneidade dos Factores Produtivos. Análise regional e sectorial ao nível das NUTs II portuguesas," Notas Económicas, Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 22, pages 23-50, December.
- Miguel A. Leon-Ledesma, 1998. "Economic Growth and Verdoorn's Law in the Spanish Regions, 1962-1991," Studies in Economics 9801, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1994.
"Regional Adjustment to Trade Liberalization,"
NBER Working Papers
4713, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaldor, Nicholas, 1970. "The Case for Regional Policies," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 17(3), pages 337-48, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:32189. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.