The Verdoorn Law in the Portuguese Regions: A Panel Data Analysis
This work aims to test the Verdoorn Law, with the alternative specifications of (1)Kaldor (1966), for five regions (NUTS II) Portuguese from 1986 to 1994 and for the 28 NUTS III Portuguese in the period 1995 to 1999. Will, therefore, to analyze the existence of increasing returns to scale that characterize the phenomena of polarization with circular and cumulative causes and can explain the processes of regional divergence. It is intended to test, even in this work, the alternative interpretation of (2)Rowthorn (1975) Verdoorn's Law for the same regions and periods. The results of this work will be complemented with estimates of these relationships to other sectors of the economy than the industry (primary and services sector), for each of the manufacturing industries operating in the Portuguese regions and for the total economy of each region (3)(Martinho, 2011).
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martinho, Vítor João Pereira Domingues, 2011.
"The Verdoorn law in the Portuguese regions: a panel data analysis,"
32186, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vitor Joao Pereira Domingues Martinho, 2011. "The Verdoorn Law in the Portuguese Regions: A Panel Data Analysis," Papers 1110.5544, arXiv.org.
- A. P. Thirlwall, 2007. "Regional Problems are "Balance-of-Payments" Problems," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(sup1), pages 89-95.
- Miguel A. Leon-Ledesma, 1998. "Economic Growth and Verdoorn's Law in the Spanish Regions, 1962-1991," Studies in Economics 9801, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Rowthorn, R E, 1979. "A Note on Verdoorn's Law," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(353), pages 131-133, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)