Nascent entrepreneurship and the developing individual: Early entrepreneurial competence in adolescence and venture creation success during the career
What predicts a person's venture creation success over the course of the career, such as making progress in the venture creation process and multiple successful venture creations? Applying a life span approach of human development, this study examined the effect of early entrepreneurial competence in adolescence, which was gathered retrospectively by means of the Life History Calendar method. Human and social capitals during the founding process were investigated as mediators between adolescent competence and performance. Findings were derived from regression analyses on the basis of prospective and retrospective data from two independent samples (N=88 nascent founders; N=148 founders). We found that early entrepreneurial competence in adolescence had a positive effect on making progress in the venture creation process. Nascent founders' current human and social capital also had a direct effect, but it did not mediate the effect of early competences. Finally, the data revealed that early entrepreneurial competence in adolescence positively predicted habitual entrepreneurship (multiple successful venture creations) exhibited over a longer period of the individual career (specifically, 18 years). In linewith the results fromprospective longitudinal studies on early precursors of entrepreneurship, our findings underscore the long neglected importance of adolescent development in the explanation of entrepreneurial performance during the subsequent working life.
|Date of creation:||06 Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:||21 Dec 2010|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Vocational Behavior 1.79(2011): pp. 121-133|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhang, Zhen & Arvey, Richard D., 2009. "Rule breaking in adolescence and entrepreneurial status: An empirical investigation," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 436-447, September.
- Uwe Cantner & Michael Stützer, 2010.
"The Use and Effect of Social Capital in New Venture Creation - Solo Entrepreneurs vs. New Venture Teams,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2010-012, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Cantner, Uwe & Michael, Stuetzer, 2013. "Knowledge and innovative entrepreneurship - social capital and individual capacities," MPRA Paper 52482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ucbasaran, Deniz & Alsos, Gry Agnete & Westhead, Paul & Wright, Mike, 2008. "Habitual Entrepreneurs," Foundations and Trends(R) in Entrepreneurship, now publishers, vol. 4(4), pages 309-450, March.
- Schultz, Theodore W, 1980. " Investment in Entrepreneurial Ability," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 82(4), pages 437-448.
- Sarasvathy, Saras D., 2004. "The questions we ask and the questions we care about: reformulating some problems in entrepreneurship research," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 707-717, September.
- Reynolds, Paul D., 2007. "New Firm Creation in the United States A PSED I Overview," Foundations and Trends(R) in Entrepreneurship, now publishers, vol. 3(1), pages 1-150, February.
- Sarah Kösters & Martin Obschonka, 2010. "Building Winners? An Empirical Evaluation of Public Business Assistance in the Founding Process," Jena Economic Research Papers 2010-025, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Gartner, William B., 1993. "Words lead to deeds: Towards an organizational emergence vocabulary," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 231-239, May.
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
- David B. Audretsch, 2007. "From small business promotion to creating an entrepreneurial society," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 8(2), pages 3-6, 07.
- Kim, Phillip H. & Aldrich, Howard E., 2005. "Social Capital and Entrepreneurship," Foundations and Trends(R) in Entrepreneurship, now publishers, vol. 1(2), pages 55-104, June.
- Mikael Samuelsson & Per Davidsson, 2009. "Does venture opportunity variation matter? Investigating systematic process differences between innovative and imitative new ventures," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 229-255, August.
- Sternberg, Robert J., 2004. "Successful intelligence as a basis for entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 189-201, March.
- Carter, Nancy M. & Gartner, William B. & Reynolds, Paul D., 1996. "Exploring start-up event sequences," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 151-166, May.
- Shane, Scott & Delmar, Frederic, 2004. "Planning for the market: business planning before marketing and the continuation of organizing efforts," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 767-785, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)