Hypothèse de Thirlwall: cas des pays de la zone Franc
[Thirlwall’s hypothesis : the case of countries of the Franc Zone]
The purpose of this study is to test the hypothesis of Thirlwall (1979) for the countries of the Franc Zone. These countries share in common the fixed parity of their currencies against the euro. One issue that concerns most of these countries is the current account deficit. By applying the cointegration bounds test of Pesaran et al. (2001) to annual data (1970-2006), the study shows that Thirlwall's hypothesis is verified for at least 11 of the 15 countries of the Franc Zone. This result raises the question of the effectiveness of current account deficits recorded by these countries and suggests that expansionary monetary policy, strategies for export growth, reevaluation of the CFA franc against the euro would help to relax the constraint of balance of payments on demand and thus accelerate economic growth without damaging the current account in the Franc Zone.
|Date of creation:||31 Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Jonathan Perraton, 2003. "Balance of Payments Constrained Growth and Developing Countries: An examination of Thirlwall's hypothesis," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 1-22.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Felipe, Jesus & McCombie, J. S. L. & Naqvi, Kaukab, 2009.
"Is Pakistan’s Growth Rate Balance-of-Payments Constrained? Policies and Implications for Development and Growth,"
ADB Economics Working Paper Series
160, Asian Development Bank.
- Jesus Felipe & J. S. L. McCombie & Kaukab Naqvi, 2010. "Is Pakistan's Growth Rate Balance-of-Payments Constrained? Policies and Implications for Development and Growth," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(4), pages 477-496.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979.
"The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences,"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 429-438.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Tuck Cheong Tang & Mahendhiran Nair, 2002. "A cointegration analysis of Malaysian import demand function: reassessment from the bounds test," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(5), pages 293-296.
- Thirlwall, Anthony P & Hussain, Mohammed Nureldin, 1982. "The Balance of Payments Constraint, Capital Flows and Growth Rate Differences between Developing Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 498-510, November.
- N. Emmanuel Tambi, 1998. "Trade liberalization effects on commodity imports in Cameroon," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(3), pages 193-202, September.
- Funke, Michael & Ruhwedel, Ralf, 2001.
"Export variety and export performance: empirical evidence from East Asia,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 493-505.
- Ralf Ruhwedel & Michael Funke, 2000. "Export Variety and Export Performance: Empirical Evidence from East Asia," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20006, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Hoque, Mohammad Monjurul & Yusop, Zulkornain, 2010. "Impacts of trade liberalisation on aggregate import in Bangladesh: An ARDL Bounds test approach," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 37-52, February.
- Erkin I. Bairam, 1997. "Levels of Economic Development and Appropriate Specification of the Harrod Foreign-Trade Multiplier," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 19(3), pages 337-344, April.
- Norman V. Loayza & Romain Rancière & Luis Servén & Jaume Ventura, 2007.
"Macroeconomic Volatility and Welfare in Developing Countries: an Introduction,"
- Norman V. Loayza & Romain Rancière & Luis Servén & Jaume Ventura, 2007. "Macroeconomic Volatility and Welfare in Developing Countries: An Introduction," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 21(3), pages 343-357, October.
- Tang, Tuck Cheong, 2003. "Japanese aggregate import demand function: reassessment from the 'bounds' testing approach," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 419-436, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:29990. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.