Stratification and between-group inequality: a new approach to measurement
Traditionally, the literature has seen stratification as linked closely to within-group inequality. More recently, some papers have focused on measuring the impact of stratification on betweengroup inequality. In this paper, we show that when two groups are involved, such an impact can be measured by a simple comparison of the two cumulative distribution functions. This approach allows an interpretation of stratification in terms of probabilities and paves the way for a neat and simple graphical illustration. We apply it to the analysis of between-continent inequality.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maria Giovanna MONTI & Alessandro SANTORO, 2009. "The Gini decomposition: an alternative formulation with an application to tax reform," Departmental Working Papers 2009-30, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Milanovic, Branko & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 2002.
"Decomposing World Income Distribution: Does the World Have a Middle Class?,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(2), pages 155-78, June.
- Milanovic, Branko & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 2001. "Decomposing world income distribution : does the world have a middle class ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2562, The World Bank.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Lerman, Robert I, 1991. "Income Stratification and Income Inequality," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(3), pages 313-29, September.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1994. "Economic distance and overlapping of distributions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 147-159, March.
- Peter J. Lambert & André Decoster, 2005.
"The Gini Coefficient Reveals More,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces0508, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Peter J. Lambert & Andre Decoster, 2004. "The Gini Coefficient Reveals More," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2004-18, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 05 Dec 2004.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:29361. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.