Duclos-Jalbert-Araar decomposition of redistributive effect: implementation issues
When there is a large number of pre-fiscal income equals in the sample, the redistributive effects based on the Gini index may be inappropriately estimated. Due to its roots in the Gini framework, the problem also appears in the application of the Duclos, Jalbert and Araar (2003) (DJA) decomposition of redistributive effects into vertical, classical horizontal inequity and reranking effects. This paper explains how the DJA implementation procedure must be adapted to produce correct estimates of different effects. The procedure is first illustrated on the 12-units hypothetical population and then applied to real data for the Croatian fiscal subsystem comprised of social security contributions, personal income tax, public pensions and cash social benefits.
|Date of creation:||11 Jan 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Jalbert, Vincent & Araar, Abdelkrim, 2000.
"Classical Horizontal Inequity and Reranking: an Integrated Approach,"
Cahiers de recherche
0002, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Vincent Jalbert & Abdelkrim Araar, 2001. "Classical Horizontal Inequity and Reranking: an Integrated Approach," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 478.01, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Duclos, J.Y. & Jalbert, V. & Araar, A., 2000. "Classical Horizontal Inequity and Reranking: an Integrated Approach," Papers 0002, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Bilger, Marcel, 2008. "Progressivity, horizontal inequality and reranking caused by health system financing: A decomposition analysis for Switzerland," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1582-1593, December.
- Aronson, J Richard & Johnson, Paul & Lambert, Peter J, 1994. "Redistributive Effects and Unequal Income Tax Treatment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 262-270, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)