Implementation Issues in the Duclos-Jalbert-Araar Decomposition of Redistributive Effect
Models decomposing the redistributive effect of fiscal systems into vertical and horizontal effects are extensively used by practitioners. Duclos, Jalbert, and Araar’s model, despite its advantages, has not yet been widely employed in empirical research, possibly due to a relatively challenging implementation procedure that involves the estimation of expected postfiscal incomes. To override these difficulties, the designers of the software DAD have incorporated a module for implementation of the model. However, the application of this module on Croatian tax-benefit system data revealed certain inaccuracies in the results. Carefully unfolding the calculation and estimation procedures needed for implementation of the model, this article instructs practitioners on how to correctly apply the model and helps DAD designers improve their module.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Abdelkrim Araar, 2003.
"An Atkinson-Gini family of social evaluation functions,"
AccessEcon, vol. 3(19), pages 1-16.
- Araar, Abdelkrim & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1998. "An Atkinson-Gini Family of Social Evaluation Functions," Cahiers de recherche 9826, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Abdelkrim Araar & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2001. "An Atkinson-Gini Family of Social Evaluation Functions," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 476.01, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Jalbert, Vincent & Araar, Abdelkrim, 2003. "Classical Horizontal Inequity and Reranking: an Integrating Approach," Cahiers de recherche 0306, CIRPEE.
- Ebert, Udo, 1997. "Social Welfare When Needs Differ: An Axiomatic Approach," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 233-244, May.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Peter Lambert, 2001. "Horizontal inequity comparisons," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 18(4), pages 799-816.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Peter Lambert,, 1998. "Horizontal inequity comparisons," IFS Working Papers W98/07, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Aronson, J Richard & Johnson, Paul & Lambert, Peter J, 1994. "Redistributive Effects and Unequal Income Tax Treatment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 262-270, March.
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1980. "A single-parameter generalization of the Gini indices of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Peter J. Lambert, 2000. "A normative and statistical approach to measuring classical horizontal inequity," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(1), pages 87-113, February.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1983. "On an Extension of the Gini Inequality Index," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(3), pages 617-628, October.
- Plotnick, Robert, 1981. "A Measure of Horizontal Inequity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(2), pages 283-288, May.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Bilger, Marcel, 2008. "Progressivity, horizontal inequality and reranking caused by health system financing: A decomposition analysis for Switzerland," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1582-1593, December.
- Udo Ebert, 1999. "Using equivalent income of equivalent adults to rank income distributions," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 16(2), pages 233-258. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)