Estimation of the Business Cycles - Selected Methodological Problems of the Hodrick-Prescott Filter Application
The aim of this article is to highlight a number of problems due to a rather „mechanical“ application of the Hodrick-Prescott Filter and its possible implication for the monetary policy decision-making process. The author concludes that HP filter is not able to estimate the potential output, however it could be used as the efficient tool in monetary policy decision making process and its stabilizing function.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Polish Journal of Environmental Studies 5B.18(2009): pp. 227-231|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1994.
"The computational experiment: an econometric tool,"
178, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Guay, A & St-Amant, P, 1996.
"Do Mechanical Filters Provide a Good Approximation of Business Cycles?,"
Working Papers-Department of Finance Canada
1996-2, Department of Finance Canada.
- Guay, A & St-Amant, P, 1996. "Do Mechanical Filters Provide a Good Approximation of Business Cycles?," Technical Reports 78, Bank of Canada.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1999.
"Measuring Business Cycles: Approximate Band-Pass Filters For Economic Time Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 575-593, November.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1995. "Measuring Business Cycles Approximate Band-Pass Filters for Economic Time Series," NBER Working Papers 5022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "BKFILTER: RATS procedure to implement band pass filter using Baxter-King method," Statistical Software Components RTS00026, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Celsa Machado, 2001. "Measuring Business Cycles: The Real Business Cycle Approach and Related Controversies," FEP Working Papers 107, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Bevilacqua ,Franco & Zon,Adriaan,van, 2001. "Random walks and non-linear paths in macroeconomic time series: Some evidence and implications," Research Memorandum 007, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:27567. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.