Variabiliti harga relatif dan inflasi : bukti empirikal di Semenanjung Malaysia, Sabah dan Sarawak
[Relative price variability and inflation: empirical evidence in Peninsular Malaysia, Sabah and Sarawak]
This study investigates the relationship between relative price variability and inflation in three regions in Malaysia namely Peninsular Malaysia, Sabah and Sarawak. Using monthly time series data from January 1970 until Mac 2005, this study utilizes the non-linear time series technique of STAR and LSTAR models. Based on the empirical evidence, it is clearly shown that the relative price variability has non-linear characteristic. In addition, inflation is also significant and positively related to influence the relative price variability in all the three regions. The empirical findings also reveal that the relationship between the relative price variability and inflation is in the form of non-linear. The findings support the menu-cost theory which stipulates that the variability of price will increase when there is an increase in the general price level. Beside that, the stochastic components of relative price variability have shown persistency in all the regions. The study implies that the price control policy and the implementation of monetary policy should also be focused to control relative price stability among the group of goods.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2008|
|Publication status:||Published in International Journal of Management Studies (IJMS) 15.2(2008): pp. 165-182|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lach, Saul & Tsiddon, Daniel, 1992. "The Behavior of Prices and Inflation: An Empirical Analysis of Disaggregated Price Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 349-89, April.
- Debelle, Guy & Lamont, Owen, 1997.
"Relative Price Variability and Inflation: Evidence from U.S. Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(1), pages 132-52, February.
- Guy Debelle & Owen Lamont, 1996. "Relative Price Variability and Inflation: Evidence from US Cities," NBER Working Papers 5627, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang, Eric C. & Cheng, Joseph W., 2000. "Further evidence on the variability of inflation and relative price variability," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 71-77, January.
- Rotemberg, Julio J, 1983. "Aggregate Consequences of Fixed Costs of Price Adjustment [Sticky Prices and Disequilibrium Adjustment in a Rational Model of the Inflationary Process]," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 433-36, June.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Eduardo M.R.A. Engel, 1992.
"Microeconomic Rigidities and Aggregate Price Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
4162, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Engel, Eduardo M. R. A., 1993. "Microeconomic rigidities and aggregate price dynamics," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 697-711, May.
- Anil K. Kashyap, 1990.
"Sticky prices: new evidence from retail catalogs,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
112, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Anil K. Kashyap, 1991. "Sticky prices: new evidence from retail catalogs," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-26, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Anil K Kashyap, 1994. "Sticky Prices: New Evidence from Retail Catalogs," NBER Working Papers 4855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mike Joyce, 1995. "Modelling UK Inflation Uncertainty: The Impact of News and the Relationship with Inflation," Bank of England working papers 30, Bank of England.
- Rotemberg, Julio J, 1982. "Monopolistic Price Adjustment and Aggregate Output," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 517-31, October.
- Benabou, Roland & Gertner, Robert, 1993. "Search with Learning from Prices: Does Increased Inflationary Uncertainty Lead to Higher Markups?," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 69-94, January.
- Driffill, John & Mizon, Grayham E. & Ulph, Alistair, 1990.
"Costs of inflation,"
Handbook of Monetary Economics,
in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 19, pages 1013-1066
- Vining, Daniel R, Jr & Elwertowski, Thomas C, 1976. "The Relationship between Relative Prices and the General Price Level," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 699-708, September.
- Sheshinski, Eytan & Weiss, Yoram, 1977. "Inflation and Costs of Price Adjustment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 287-303, June.
- Fielding, David & Mizen, Paul, 2000. "Relative Price Variability and Inflation in Europe," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 67(265), pages 57-78, February.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G, 1985. "Staggered Contracts and the Frequency of Price Adjustment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(5), pages 935-59, Supp..
- Blinder, Alan S, 1991.
"Why Are Prices Sticky? Preliminary Results from an Interview Study,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 89-96, May.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1991. "Why are Prices Sticky? Preliminary Results from an Interview Study," NBER Working Papers 3646, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caplin, Andrew S & Spulber, Daniel F, 1987.
"Menu Costs and the Neutrality of Money,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 102(4), pages 703-25, November.
- Dabus, Carlos, 2000. "Inflationary regimes and relative price variability: evidence from Argentina," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 535-547, August.
- Parsley, David C, 1996. "Inflation and Relative Price Variability in the Short and Long Run: New Evidence from the United States," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(3), pages 323-41, August.
- Nath, Hiranya K., 2004. "Inflation and relative price variability: short-run vs. long-run," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 363-369, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:26970. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.