The Role of China in Regional South-South Trade in Asia-Pacific: Prospects for industrialization of the low-income countries
The author provides an alternative for the rationale for South-South trade as a vehicle for industrialization and development of developing countries in Asia-Pacific region as the literature on this issue is not satisfactory. Further, refuting the “de-coupling” thesis—that is, the East Asian countries are decoupled from the business cycle in developed countries—he analyses the merits and shortcomings of China’s regional trade with its partners in the region. Moreover, considering the growing weight of China in the global production network and international trade he proposes policies for the future of industrialization and development of the partner countries for strengthening the role of China as a growth “pole”. He suggest, inter alia, the need for industrial collaboration among the low-income countries, which benefit less than others from the dynamics of the Chinese economy as a “hub” complemented by adjustment assistance by China and NIEs. He also proposes technological cooperation among other main partner countries which are involved in production sharing in a limited number of electric and electronic products for exportation to the third markets in developed countries. The aim is to upgrade their industrial structure, and reduce their vulnerability to changes in the economic strategy of China and the business cycles in developed countries.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin P. Gallagher & Mehdi Shafaeddin, 2009. "Policies for Industrial Learning in China and Mexico," Trade Working Papers 22782, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Scott L. Baier & Jeffrey H. Bergstrand & Erika Vidal, 2007. "Free Trade Agreements In the Americas: Are the Trade Effects Larger than Anticipated?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(9), pages 1347-1377, 09.
- Kaldor, Nicholas, 1972. "The Irrelevance of Equilibrium Economics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(328), pages 1237-55, December.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Albaladejo, Manuel, 2004.
"China's Competitive Performance: A Threat to East Asian Manufactured Exports?,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1441-1466, September.
- Sanjaya Lall and Manuel Albaladejo (QEH), . "China’s Competitive Performance: A Threat To East Asian Manufactured Exports?," QEH Working Papers qehwps110, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Kim, Soyoung & Lee, Jong-Wha & Park, Cyn-Young, 2009.
"Emerging Asia: Decoupling or Recoupling,"
Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration
31, Asian Development Bank.
- Thorbecke, Willem, 2008.
"The effect of exchange rate volatility on fragmentation in East Asia: Evidence from the electronics industry,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 535-544, December.
- THORBECKE, Willem, 2008. "The Effect of Exchange Rate Volatility on Fragmentation in East Asia: Evidence from the Electronics Industry," Discussion papers 08016, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Ma, Alyson & Assche, Ari Van & Hong, Chang, 2009. "Global Production Networks and the People's Republic of China's Processing Trade," ADBI Working Papers 175, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Mehdi Shafaeddin & Juan Pizarro, 2010. "The evolution of value added in assembly operations: the case of China and Mexico," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 373-397.
- Sanjaya LALL, 2004.
"Reinventing Industrial Strategy: The Role Of Government Policy In Building Industrial Competitiveness,"
G-24 Discussion Papers
28, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Sanjaya Lall, 2013. "Reinventing Industrial Strategy: The Role Of Government Policy In Building Industrial Competitiveness," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 14(2), pages 785-829, November.
- Sanjaya Lall (QEH), . "Reinventing Industrial Strategy: The Role of Government Policy in Building Industrial Competitiveness," QEH Working Papers qehwps111, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Shigehisa Kasahara, 2004.
"The Flying Geese Paradigm: A Critical Study Of Its Application To East Asian Regional Development,"
UNCTAD Discussion Papers
169, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Kasahara, Shigehisa, 2004. "The Flying Geese Paradigm: A critical study of its application to East Asian regional development," MPRA Paper 21881, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Young, Allyn A., 1928. "Increasing Returns and Economic Progress," History of Economic Thought Articles, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 38, pages 527-542.
- Ng, Francis & Yeats, Alexander, 2003. "Major trade trends in East Asia : what are their implications for regional cooperation and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3084, The World Bank.
- Juthathip Jongwanich, 2010. "Determinants of Export Performance in East and Southeast Asia," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(1), pages 20-41, 01.
- Prasad, Eswar, 2009.
"Rebalancing Growth in Asia,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4298, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Harm Zebregs, 2004. "Intraregional Trade in Emerging Asia," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 04/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Wei Liao & Kang Shi & Zhiwei Zhang, 2010.
"Vertical Trade and China's Export Dynamics,"
102010, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Greenaway, David & Milner, Chris R, 1990. "South-South Trade: Theory, Evidence, Policy," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 5(1), pages 47-68, January.
- Moen, J., 1998. "Trade and Development: Is South-South Co-operation a Feasible Strategy?," Papers 21/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Yýlmaz Akyuz, 2010. "Export Dependence and Sustainability of Growth in China and the East Asian Production Network," Working Papers 2010/7, Turkish Economic Association.
- Przemyslaw Kowalski & Ben Shepherd, 2006. "South-South Trade In Goods," OECD Trade Policy Papers 40, OECD Publishing.
- Mehrotra, Aaron & Kozluk , Tomasz, 2008. "The Impact of Chinese Monetary Policy Shocks on East Asia," BOFIT Discussion Papers 5/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:26358. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.