Tourism Taxation and Environmental Quality in a Model with Vertical Differentiation
The environmental quality of destination has become a tool that hotels have to hold the tourism demand. In this paper we are going to present a model of vertical differentiation in the accommodation industry, where differentiation is associated with quality. Additionally, we assume the existence of a lump sum tax in the accommodation industry. Two are the main results which will be proved in this article; first, if the tourist's willingness to pay for quality increases then both the demand and the price for tourism services increase as a result. However, the increment of the demand for best environmental quality gets higher, and therefore, the environmental quality level of tourism services, that the destination offers, decreases. Second, an increase in the value of the tourism tax leads to an increase in the total environmental quality of the destination.
|Date of creation:||10 Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:||19 Dec 2008|
|Publication status:||Published in TOURISMOS: An International Multidisciplinary Journal of Tourism 1.4(2009): pp. 45-62|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cremer, Helmuth & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1991.
"Location Models of Horizontal Differentiation: A Special Case of Vertical Differentiation Models,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 383-90, June.
- CREMER, Helmuth & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "Location models of horizontal differentiation: a special case of vertical differentiation models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 931, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Wauthy, Xavier, 1996.
"Quality Choice in Models of Vertical Differentiation,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 345-53, September.
- Wauthy, X., 1994. "Quality Choice in Models of Vertical Differentiation," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1994033, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Carl Bonham & Byron Gangnes, 1995. "Intervention Analysis with Cointegrated Time Series: The Case of the Hawaii Hotel Room Tax," Working Papers 199505, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Accinelli, Elvio & Brida, Juan Gabriel & Carrera, Edgar & Pereyra, Juan, 2007. "The Effects On Environmental Investment Of Changes In Tourism Demand," MPRA Paper 6372, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Warnken, Jan & Bradley, Melanie & Guilding, Chris, 2004. "Exploring methods and practicalities of conducting sector-wide energy consumption accounting in the tourist accommodation industry," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 125-141, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:25305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.