Flowing Together or Flowing Apart: An Analysis of the Relation between FDI and ODA Flows to Argentina and Brazil
The analysis of the relationship between ODA and capital flows is scarce and has provided cross-country ambiguous results. The purpose of our study is to explore the relation between FDI and ODA for Argentina and Brazil. We have divided the analysis into the macro and the micro approach. From the macro perspective, we analyze the volatility and cyclical aspects of both flows. We also study if they buffer GDP’s shocks. We find that aid is more stable than FDI… At micro level, we look for structural relations by analyzing sectorial destination of both flows. We find that the main foreign direct investors are also the main donors but no systematic relation emerge between FDI and ODA flows, except for the Japanese case in Brazil.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy D. Lane & Leslie Lipschitz & Cristina Arellano & Ales Bulir, 2005.
"The Dynamic Implications of Foreign Aid and Its Variability,"
IMF Working Papers
05/119, International Monetary Fund.
- Arellano, Cristina & Bulír, Ales & Lane, Timothy & Lipschitz, Leslie, 2009. "The dynamic implications of foreign aid and its variability," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 87-102, January.
- Ugur Karakaplan & Bilin Neyapti & Selin Sayek, 2005.
"Aid and Foreign Direct Investment: International Evidence,"
2005/12, Turkish Economic Association.
- M. Ugur Karakaplan & Bilin Neyapti & Selin Sayek, 2005. "Aid and Foreign Direct Investment : International Evidence," Working Papers 0505, Department of Economics, Bilkent University.
- Pierre Richard AGÉNOR & Nihal BAYRAKTAR & Karim EL AYNAOUI, "undated".
"Roads out of Poverty? Assessing the Link between Aid, Public Investment, Growth and Poverty Reduction,"
- Agénor, Pierre-Richard & Bayraktar, Nihal & El Aynaoui, Karim, 2008. "Roads out of poverty? Assessing the links between aid, public investment, growth, and poverty reduction," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 277-295, June.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Bayraktar, Nihal & El Aynaoui, Karim, 2005. "Roads out of poverty? assessing the links between aid, public investment, growth, and poverty reduction," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3490, The World Bank.
- Kosack, Stephen & Tobin, Jennifer, 2006. "Funding Self-Sustaining Development: The Role of Aid, FDI and Government in Economic Success," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 60(01), pages 205-243, January.
- KIMURA Hidemi & TODO Yasuyuki, 2007. "Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of FDI? A Gravity-Equation Approach," Discussion papers 07007, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Alberto Alesina & David Dollar, 1998.
"Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?,"
NBER Working Papers
6612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Classens, S. & Dooley, M.P. & Warner, A., 1995.
"Portfolio Capital Flows: Hot or Cold,"
501, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Ryusuke Ihara & Roki Iwahashi, 2007. "Attracting foreign investment: Optimal ODA policy with trade liberalization," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 193-211.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Reinhart, Vincent, 1998. "“Some Lessons for Policy Makers Who Deal with the Mixed Blessing of Capital Inflows,”," MPRA Paper 7123, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alberto Gabriele & Korkut Boratav & Ashok Parikh, 2007.
"Instability and Volatility of Capital Flows to Developing Countries,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Trade Liberalisation Impact on Growth and Trade in Developing Countries, chapter 10, pages 273-305
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Alberto Gabriele & Korkut Baratav & Ashok Parikh, 2000. "Instability and Volatility of Capital Flows to Developing Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(8), pages 1031-1056, 08.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:12:y:2006:i:2:p:241-250 is not listed on IDEAS
- Simon Feeny & Mark McGillivray, 2008. "What Determines Bilateral Aid Allocations? Evidence From Time Series Data," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 515-529, 08.
- Rodrik, Dani, 1995.
"Why is there Multilateral Lending?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1207, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Severine Blaise, 2005. "On the link between Japanese ODA and FDI in China: a microeconomic evaluation using conditional logit analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 51-55.
- Asiedu, Elizabeth & Villamil, Anne P., 2002. "Imperfect Enforcement, Foreign Investment, And Foreign Aid," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(04), pages 476-495, September.
- Selaya, Pablo & Sunesen, Eva Rytter, 2012.
"Does Foreign Aid Increase Foreign Direct Investment?,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(11), pages 2155-2176.
- Pablo Selaya & Eva R. Sunesen, 2008. "Does Foreign Aid Increase Foreign Direct Investment?," Discussion Papers 08-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Eduardo Fernández-Arias, 2000.
"Foreign Direct Investment: Good Cholesterol?,"
Research Department Publications
4203, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Lensink, Robert & White, Howard, 1998. "Does the Revival of International Private Capital Flows Mean the End of Aid?: An Analysis of Developing Countries' Access to Private Capital," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1221-1234, July.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1993.
"El problema de la afluencia de capital: Conceptos y temas
[The Capital Inflows Problem: Concepts and Issues]," MPRA Paper 13682, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Emmanuel Frot & Javier Santiso, 2008. "Development Aid and Portfolio Funds: Trends, Volatility and Fragmentation," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 275, OECD Publishing.
- Yilmaz AKYÜZ & Andrew CORNFORD, 1999. "Capital Flows To Developing Countries And The Reform Of The International Financial System," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 143, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:25064. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.