Flowing Together or Flowing Apart: An Analysis of the Relation between FDI and ODA Flows to Argentina and Brazil
The analysis of the relationship between ODA and capital flows is scarce and has provided cross-country ambiguous results. The purpose of our study is to explore the relation between FDI and ODA for Argentina and Brazil. We have divided the analysis into the macro and the micro approach. From the macro perspective, we analyze the volatility and cyclical aspects of both flows. We also study if they buffer GDP’s shocks. We find that aid is more stable than FDI… At micro level, we look for structural relations by analyzing sectorial destination of both flows. We find that the main foreign direct investors are also the main donors but no systematic relation emerge between FDI and ODA flows, except for the Japanese case in Brazil.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo Hausmann & Eduardo Fernández-Arias, 2000. "Foreign Direct Investment: Good Cholesterol?," Research Department Publications 4203, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Bayraktar, Nihal & El Aynaoui, Karim, 2005.
"Roads out of poverty? assessing the links between aid, public investment, growth, and poverty reduction,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3490, The World Bank.
- Agénor, Pierre-Richard & Bayraktar, Nihal & El Aynaoui, Karim, 2008. "Roads out of poverty? Assessing the links between aid, public investment, growth, and poverty reduction," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 277-295, June.
- Pierre Richard AGÉNOR & Nihal BAYRAKTAR & Karim EL AYNAOUI, . "Roads out of Poverty? Assessing the Link between Aid, Public Investment, Growth and Poverty Reduction," EcoMod2004 330600003, EcoMod.
- Pablo Selaya & Eva R. Sunesen, 2008.
"Does Foreign Aid Increase Foreign Direct Investment?,"
08-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Selaya, Pablo & Sunesen, Eva Rytter, 2012. "Does Foreign Aid Increase Foreign Direct Investment?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(11), pages 2155-2176.
- Alesina, Alberto & Dollar, David, 2000.
" Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 33-63, March.
- Dollar, David & Alesina, Alberto, 2000. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," Scholarly Articles 4553020, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & David Dollar, 1998. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," NBER Working Papers 6612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Classens, S. & Dooley, M.P. & Warner, A., 1995.
"Portfolio Capital Flows: Hot or Cold,"
501, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Dani Rodrik, 1995.
"Why is there Multilateral Lending?,"
NBER Working Papers
5160, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yilmaz AKYÜZ & Andrew CORNFORD, 1999. "Capital Flows To Developing Countries And The Reform Of The International Financial System," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 143, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- KIMURA Hidemi & TODO Yasuyuki, 2007. "Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of FDI? A Gravity-Equation Approach," Discussion papers 07007, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Leonardo Leiderman & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1994.
"The Capital Inflows Problem: Concepts And Issues,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(3), pages 54-66, 07.
- Arellano, Cristina & Bulír, Ales & Lane, Timothy & Lipschitz, Leslie, 2009. "The dynamic implications of foreign aid and its variability," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 87-102, January.
- Simon Feeny & Mark McGillivray, 2008. "What Determines Bilateral Aid Allocations? Evidence From Time Series Data," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 515-529, 08.
- Kosack, Stephen & Tobin, Jennifer, 2006. "Funding Self-Sustaining Development: The Role of Aid, FDI and Government in Economic Success," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 60(01), pages 205-243, January.
- Ugur Karakaplan & Bilin Neyapti & Selin Sayek, 2005.
"Aid and Foreign Direct Investment: International Evidence,"
2005/12, Turkish Economic Association.
- M. Uður Karakaplan & Bilin Neyaptý & Selin Sayek, 2005. "Aid and Foreign Direct Investment : International Evidence," Departmental Working Papers 0505, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Emmanuel Frot & Javier Santiso, 2008. "Development Aid and Portfolio Funds: Trends, Volatility and Fragmentation," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 275, OECD Publishing.
- Lensink, Robert & White, Howard, 1998. "Does the Revival of International Private Capital Flows Mean the End of Aid?: An Analysis of Developing Countries' Access to Private Capital," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1221-1234, July.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Reinhart, Vincent, 1998. "“Some Lessons for Policy Makers Who Deal with the Mixed Blessing of Capital Inflows,”," MPRA Paper 7123, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alberto Gabriele & Korkut Baratav & Ashok Parikh, 2000. "Instability and Volatility of Capital Flows to Developing Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(8), pages 1031-1056, 08.
- Abdiweli Ali & Hodan Isse, 2006. "An Empirical Analysis of the Determinants of Foreign Aid: A Panel Approach," International Advances in Economic Research, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 12(2), pages 241-250, May.
- Severine Blaise, 2005. "On the link between Japanese ODA and FDI in China: a microeconomic evaluation using conditional logit analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 51-55.
- Ryusuke Ihara & Roki Iwahashi, 2007. "Attracting foreign investment: Optimal ODA policy with trade liberalization," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 193-211.
- Asiedu, Elizabeth & Villamil, Anne P., 2002. "Imperfect Enforcement, Foreign Investment, And Foreign Aid," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(04), pages 476-495, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:25064. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.