The ‘Trade-off’ between Spatial Equity and Economic Efficiency Revisited: Evidence from the US States
The principle aims of regional policy can be encapsulated in terms of ‘spatial equity’ and ‘economic efficiency’. Establishing the relation between these two aims is of fundamental importance. Conventionally, however, it is assumed that there is a conflict or a ‘trade-off’ between them. In this paper, a hopeful view, i.e. that the two aims are complementary rather than competitive, is put forward. The validity of this view is examined empirically using data for the US States covering the period 1972-2005. The obtained results map an instructive framework for regional policy where the scope for reducing regional inequalities is not incompatible with improvements in economic efficiency.
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Formby, John P. & Smith, W. James & Zheng, Buhong, 1999. "The coefficient of variation, stochastic dominance and inequality: A new interpretation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 319-323, March.
- Ulltveit-Moe, Karen Helene, 2007.
"Regional policy design: An analysis of relocation, efficiency and equity,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 1443-1467, August.
- Ulltveit-Moe, Karen-Helene, 2004. "Regional Policy Design: An Analysis of Relocation, Efficiency and Equity," CEPR Discussion Papers 4321, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderstig, Christer & Mattsson, Lars-Goran, 1989. "Interregional Allocation Models of Infrastructure Investments," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 23(4), pages 287-298.
- Breunig, Robert, 2001. "An almost unbiased estimator of the coefficient of variation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 15-19, January.
- Rietveld, Piet, 1991. "A note on interregional versus intraregional inequality," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 627-637, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24372. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.