The ‘Trade-off’ between Spatial Equity and Economic Efficiency Revisited: Evidence from the US States
The principle aims of regional policy can be encapsulated in terms of ‘spatial equity’ and ‘economic efficiency’. Establishing the relation between these two aims is of fundamental importance. Conventionally, however, it is assumed that there is a conflict or a ‘trade-off’ between them. In this paper, a hopeful view, i.e. that the two aims are complementary rather than competitive, is put forward. The validity of this view is examined empirically using data for the US States covering the period 1972-2005. The obtained results map an instructive framework for regional policy where the scope for reducing regional inequalities is not incompatible with improvements in economic efficiency.
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rietveld, Piet, 1991. "A note on interregional versus intraregional inequality," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 627-637, December.
- Breunig, Robert, 2001. "An almost unbiased estimator of the coefficient of variation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 15-19, January.
- Ulltveit-Moe, Karen Helene, 2007.
"Regional policy design: An analysis of relocation, efficiency and equity,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 1443-1467, August.
- Ulltveit-Moe, Karen-Helene, 2004. "Regional Policy Design: An Analysis of Relocation, Efficiency and Equity," CEPR Discussion Papers 4321, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderstig, Christer & Mattsson, Lars-Goran, 1989. "Interregional Allocation Models of Infrastructure Investments," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 23(4), pages 287-98.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24372. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.