Challenges of Bank Consolidation to the Central Bank of Nigeria: A Descriptive Analysis
Consolidation is one of the trends that characterize banking industry restructuring in Nigeria. However, the emerging scale of bank mergers raises challenging policy questions that must be addressed by policy makers in the course of promoting economic efficiency while safeguarding the nation’s financial system. This paper analyses the challenges of the banking consolidation to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The paper is descriptive and uses literature survey method. Data was collected from secondary source through CBN publications, local and international journals and other published materials. The paper argues that the recent consolidation poses new challenges to the regulatory authority, particularly in the area of financial system stability. It therefore, recommends that CBN’s policies aimed at providing financial system stability and efficiency should take into consideration the process of banking consolidation and increasing globalisation of financial transactions.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Business Administration Vol. I.No. 2(2006): pp. 7-13|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon H. Kwan, 2004. "Banking consolidation," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue jun18.
- Jalal D. Akhavein & Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1996.
"The Effects of Megamergers on Efficiency and Prices: Evidence from a Bank Profit Function,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
96-03, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jalal D. Akhavein & Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "The effects of megamergers on efficiency and prices: evidence from a bank profit function," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-9, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Stephen A. Rhoades, 2000. "Bank mergers and banking structure in the United States, 1980-98," Staff Studies 174, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Elizabeth Laderman, 2003. "Good news on Twelfth District banking market concentration," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue oct24.
- Kevin J. Stiroh & Jennifer P. Poole, 2000. "Explaining the rising concentration of banking assets in the 1990s," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 6(Aug).
- Michiru Sawada & Tetsuji Okazaki, 2004.
"Effects of Bank Consolidation Promotion Policy: Evaluating the Bank Law in 1927 Japan,"
CIRJE-F-307, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Tetsuji Okazaki & Michiru Sawada, 2004. "Effects of bank consolidation promotion policy: Evaluating the Bank Law in 1927 Japan," Discussion papers 04004, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- International Monetary Fund, 2004. "Bank Consolidation and Performance; The Argentine Experience," IMF Working Papers 04/149, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:23198. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.