Closing the gap: the link between social capital and microfinance services
The social capital has strengthened the solidarity funds when the legal mechanisms and institutions for monitoring and assistance would not have been present. The aim of this paper is to analyze the effect of social capital on productivity and performance of the Mexican solidarity funds. For this it is obtained an estimator indirectly associated with inequality, through which it follows that if the social capital rises 1% the loans number increases by 0.2877% and the savings number increases by 0.4598%, and for each additional producer that activate his social capital with his partners they will be generated increases in loans recoveries amounting to 597.41 pesos. In this sense, a greater investment in social capital will recover a larger amount of borrowed funds and will increase savings and loans to poor producers
|Date of creation:||Jul 2000|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy Besley & Stephen Coate & Glenn Loury, 1992.
"The Economics of Rotating Savings and Credit Associations,"
Boston University - Institute for Economic Development
24, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen & Loury, Glenn, 1993. "The Economics of Rotating Savings and Credit Associations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(4), pages 792-810, September.
- Besley, T. & Coate, S. & Loury, G., 1990. "The Economics Of Rotating Savings And Credit Associations," Working papers 556, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Besley, T. & Coate, S. & Loury, G., 1990. "The Economics Of Rotating Savings And Credit Associations," Papers 149, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Besley, T. & Coate, S. & Loury, G., 1992. "The economics of Rotating Savings and Credit Associations," Papers 157, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521433297 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kondor, Yaakov, 1971. "An Old-New Measure of Income Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(6), pages 1041-42, November.
- Esteban, J.M. & Ray, D., 1992.
"On the Measurement of Polarization,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
171.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Joan-Maria Esteban & Debraj Ray, 1991. "On the Measurement of Polarization," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 18, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Esteban, J. & Ray, D., 1993. "On the Measurement of Polarization," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 221.93, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"Trust in Large Organizations,"
NBER Working Papers
5864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robison, Lindon J. & Hanson, Steven D., 1995. "Social Capital And Economic Cooperation," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(01), July.
- Johnson, Paul & Temple, Jonathan, 1996.
"Social Capability and Economic Development,"
Vassar College Department of Economics Working Paper Series
37, Vassar College Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521438827 is not listed on IDEAS
- Heller, Patrick, 1996. "Social capital as a product of class mobilization and state intervention: Industrial workers in Kerala, India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1055-1071, June.
- Samuel Bowles & Glenn C. Loury & Rajiv Sethi, 2014.
Journal of the European Economic Association,
European Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 129-152, 02.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Jonathan Morduch, 2007. "The Economics of Microfinance," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512017, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:22974. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.