Bilateral Investment Treaties, Political Risk and Foreign Direct Investment
The study constructs a linear model to evaluate the significant impacts of bilateral investment treaties (BITs) on foreign direct investment (FDI) and the possible consequences of BITs. The results show that BITs have significantly promoted FDI, and their effects are substitute for the level of political risk in a country. Another interesting finding is that BITs signed with non-OECD countries should not be overlooked. By estimating the growth of FDI resulting from an additional BIT ratified, the finding further indicates that BITs are more potential for most Asian countries to promote FDI. On average, a BIT ratified by a country in South, East, and South-East Asia can raise FDI by around 2.3 percent.
|Date of creation:||May 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Asia Pacific Journal of Economics & Business 1.11(2007): pp. 6-24|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rashmi Banga, 2003. "Impact of government policies and investment agreements on FDI inflows," Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi Working Papers 116, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi, India.
- Dollar, David & Hallward-Driemeier, Mary & Mengistae, Taye, 2006.
"Investment climate and international integration,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1498-1516, September.
- Jennifer Tobin & Susan Rose-Ackerman, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Business Environment in Developing Countries: the Impact of Bilateral Investment Treaties," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 587, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1990. "Capital Flows, Foreign Direct Investment, and Debt-Equity Swaps in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 3497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Singh, Harinder & Kwang W. Jun, 1995. "Some new evidence on determinants of foreign direct investment in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1531, The World Bank.
- Suleyman Tulug Ok, 2004. "What Drives Foreign Direct Investment into Emerging Markets? : Evidence from Turkey," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(4), pages 101-114, July.
- Peter Nunnenkamp, Julius Spatz, 2003.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth in Developing Countries: How Relevant Are Host-country and Industry Characteristics?,"
Kiel Working Papers
1176, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Spatz, Julius, 2003. "Foreign direct investment and economic growth in developing countries: how relevant are host-country and industry characteristics?," Kiel Working Papers 1176, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Hubert Janicki & Phanindra Wunnava, 2004. "Determinants of foreign direct investment: empirical evidence from EU accession candidates," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(5), pages 505-509.
- Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2004. "The impact of bilateral investment treaties on foreign direct investment," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 788-804, December.
- Andrzej Baniak & Jacek Cukrowski & And Jan Herczyñski, 2003. "On the Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Transition Economies," Problems of Economic Transition, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(2), pages 6-28, January.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Ronald B. Davies, 2002. "Do Bilateral Tax Treaties Promote Foreign Direct Investment?," NBER Working Papers 8834, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mary Hallward-Driemeier, 2003. "Do bilateral investment treaties attract foreign direct investment? Only a bit - and they could bite," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3121, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:21324. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.