Simple GMM Estimation of the Semi-Strong GARCH(1,1) Model
Efficient GMM estimation of the semi-strong GARCH(1,1) model requires simultaneous estimation of the conditional third and fourth moments. This paper proposes a simple alternative to efficient GMM based upon the unconditional skewness of residuals and the autocovariances of squared residuals. An advantage of this simple alternative is that neither the third nor the fourth conditional moment needs to be estimated. A second advantage is that linear estimators apply to all of the parameters in the model, making estimation straightforward in practice. The proposed estimators are IV-like with potentially many instruments. Sequential estimation involves TSLS in a first step followed by linear GMM. Simultaneous estimation involves either two-step GMM or CUE. A Monte Carlo study of the proposed estimators is included.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rich, Robert W. & Raymond, Jennie & Butler, J. S., 1991. "Generalized instrumental variables estimation of autoregressive conditional heteroskedastic models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 179-185, February.
- Whitney Newey & Frank Windmeijer, 2005. "GMM with many weak moment conditions," CeMMAP working papers CWP18/05, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Francq, Christian & Horvath, Lajos & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2009.
"Merits and drawbacks of variance targeting in GARCH models,"
15143, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Francq & Lajos Horváth, 2011. "Merits and Drawbacks of Variance Targeting in GARCH Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 9(4), pages 619-656.
- Christian FRANCQ & Lajos HORVATH & Jean-Michel ZAKOIAN, 2009. "Merits and Drawbacks of Variance Targeting in GARCH Models," Working Papers 2009-17, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Chirok Han & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2006.
"GMM with Many Moment Conditions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(1), pages 147-192, 01.
- Chirok Han & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2005. "GMM with Many Moment Conditions," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1515, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Chirok Han, 2004. "GMM with Many Moment Conditions," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 525, Econometric Society.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- MEDDAHI, Nour & RENAULT, Éric, 1998.
"Quadratic M-Estimators for ARCH-Type Processes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9814, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Peter A. Zadrozny, 2005. "Necessary and Sufficient Restrictions for Existence of a Unique Fourth Moment of a Univariate GARCH(p,q) Process," CESifo Working Paper Series 1505, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. "Intraday periodicity and volatility persistence in financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 115-158, June.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1990.
"Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes,"
1990-66, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1990. "Temporal Aggregation Of Garch Processes," Papers 9066, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1992. "Temporal Aggregation of Garch Processes," Papers 9240, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1992. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Discussion Paper 1992-40, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Andrews, Donald W. K., 1987.
"Laws of Large Numbers for Dependent Non-Identically Distributed Random Variables,"
645, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Andrews, Donald W.K., 1988. "Laws of Large Numbers for Dependent Non-Identically Distributed Random Variables," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(03), pages 458-467, December.
- Taskinen, Sara & Oja, Hannu & Randles, Ronald H., 2005. "Multivariate Nonparametric Tests of Independence," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 916-925, September.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
RCER Working Papers
322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Heaton, John & Yaron, Amir, 1996. "Finite-Sample Properties of Some Alternative GMM Estimators," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 262-80, July.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Akhtar Siddique, 2000. "Conditional Skewness in Asset Pricing Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1263-1295, 06.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1982. "Multivariate regression models for panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 5-46, January.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153273 is not listed on IDEAS
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1993. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Other publications TiSEM 0642fb61-c7f4-4281-b484-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Christian M. Hafner, 2003. "Fourth Moment Structure of Multivariate GARCH Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(1), pages 26-54.
- Asger Lunde & Peter Reinhard Hansen, 2001.
"A Forecast Comparison of Volatility Models: Does Anything Beat a GARCH(1,1)?,"
2001-04, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Asger Lunde & Peter R. Hansen, 2005. "A forecast comparison of volatility models: does anything beat a GARCH(1,1)?," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(7), pages 873-889.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Independent Observations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(2), pages 483-99, March.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L, 1996. "Consistency and Asymptotic Normality of the Quasi-maximum Likelihood Estimator in IGARCH(1,1) and Covariance Stationary GARCH(1,1) Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 575-96, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Douglas G. Steigerwald, 1997. "Asymptotic Bias for Quasi-Maximum-Likelihood Estimators in Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 587-600, May.
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1986. "Asymptotic Theory for ARCH Models: Estimation and Testing," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 107-131, April.
- Cragg, John G, 1983. "More Efficient Estimation in the Presence of Heteroscedasticity of Unknown Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 751-63, May.
- Smith, Richard J, 1997. "Alternative Semi-parametric Likelihood Approaches to Generalised Method of Moments Estimation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 503-19, March.
- Mark, Nelson C., 1988. "Time-varying betas and risk premia in the pricing of forward foreign exchange contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 335-354, December.
- Hall, Peter & Horowitz, Joel L, 1996. "Bootstrap Critical Values for Tests Based on Generalized-Method-of-Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 891-916, July.
- Skoglund, Jimmy, 2001. "A simple efficient GMM estimator of GARCH models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 0434, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Escanciano, Juan Carlos, 2009. "Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimation Of Semi-Strong Garch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(02), pages 561-570, April.
- Harvey, Campbell R. & Siddique, Akhtar, 1999. "Autoregressive Conditional Skewness," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(04), pages 465-487, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:20034. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.