Access to Finance and Its Association with Development in Rural India
Financial development has been correlated with better development outcomes. Even so, the access dimension of financial development has often been overlooked. In this context, the paper throws initial light on the nuances of horizontal inequality in the access to finance from institutional sources and development outcomes such as poverty, educational attainment and standard of living in rural area for Indian states. It is seen that the percentage of rural households getting access to finance from institutional agencies has remained considerably low and there is significant variation across states. More importantly, there is significant amount of horizontal inequality in the access to finance from institutional sources. Interestingly, better access to finance is found to be associated with better development outcomes. The most important finding of the paper is that lower (higher) inequality in the access to finance from institutional sources is associated with better (worse) development outcomes.
|Date of creation:||17 Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garcia-Penalosa, Cecilia & Aghion, Philippe & Caroli, Eve, 1999.
"Inequality and Economic Growth: The Perspective of the New Growth Theories,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/10091, Paris Dauphine University.
- Cecilia Garcia-Penalosa & Eve Caroli & Philippe Aghion, 1999. "Inequality and Economic Growth: The Perspective of the New Growth Theories," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1615-1660, December.
- Aghion, Philippe & Caroli, Eve & Garcia-Penalosa, Cecilia, 1999. "Inequality and economic growth: the perspective of the new growth theories," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9908, CEPREMAP.
- Aghion, Philippe & Caroli, Eve & GarcÃa-PeÃ±alosa, Cecilia, 1999. "Inequality and Economic Growth: The Perspective of the New Growth Theories," Scholarly Articles 12502063, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bhandari, Amit Kumar, 2009.
"Access to Banking Services and Poverty Reduction: A State-wise Assessment in India,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4132, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Amit. K. Bhandari, 2009. "Access to Banking Services and Poverty Reduction: A State-wise Assessment in India," Working Papers id:2070, eSocialSciences.
- Gérard Roland, 2000.
"Transition and Economics: Politics, Markets, and Firms,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262182033, June.
- Gérard Roland, 2004. "Transition and Economics: Politics, Markets, and Firms," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026268148x, June.
- Beck, Thorsten & de la Torre, Augusto, 2006. "The basic analytics of access to financial services," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4026, The World Bank.
- Khandker, Shahidur R., 2003.
"Microfinance and poverty - evidence using panel data from Bangladesh,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2945, The World Bank.
- Shahidur R. Khandker, 2005. "Microfinance and Poverty: Evidence Using Panel Data from Bangladesh," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 263-286.
- repec:oup:restud:v:64:y:1997:i:3:p:311-35 is not listed on IDEAS
- Claessens, Stijn & Perotti, Enrico, 2007. "Finance and inequality: Channels and evidence," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 748-773, December.
- Binswanger, Hans P & McIntire, John, 1987. "Behavioral and Material Determinants of Production Relations in Land-Abundant Tropical Agriculture," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 73-99, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:20033. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.