From men and machines to the organizational learning curve
Learning curves can arise out of routing problems, or out of sequencing problems, or a combination of both. In this paper, learning curves arising out of routing problems are investigated by means of numerical simulations, whereas some properties of the learning curves arising out of sequencing problems are analyzed by means of a computational model. In both cases, the arousal of organizational learning curves is conceived as the emergence of routines. In both cases, the conditions for this to occur are that (i) there are sufficiently many novel possibilities of arranging the units composing the organization, and that (ii) these units are sufficiently many and sufficiently flexible.
|Date of creation:||29 Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ferdinand K. Levy, 1965. "Adaptation in the Production Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(6), pages B136-B154, April.
- Argote, L. & Epple, D., 1990. "Learning Curves In Manufacturing," GSIA Working Papers 89-90-02, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Paul S. Adler & Kim B. Clark, 1991. "Behind the Learning Curve: A Sketch of the Learning Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(3), pages 267-281, March.
- Dutton, John M. & Thomas, Annie & Butler, John E., 1984. "The History of Progress Functions as a Managerial Technology," Business History Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 58(02), pages 204-233, June.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- N. Baloff & R. McKersie, 1966. "Motivating Startups," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 473.
- Fioretti, Guido, 2007. "The organizational learning curve," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 1375-1384, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:19392. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.