Tariff and Equilibrium Indeterminacy - A Global Analysis
Zhang (2009) shows that endogenous tariffs and endogenous labor income taxes (Schmitt-Grohe and Uribe, 1997) are equivalent in generating local indeterminacy. Using the method developed by Stockman (2009), we extend Zhang's analysis to prove that they are also equivalent in generating global indeterminacy (chaotic equilibria) under a balanced-budget rule. We show that the existence of Euler equation branching in an arbitrarily small neighborhood of a steady state can imply topological chaos in the sense of Devaney. In addition, the Euler equation branching occurs regardless of the local uniqueness of the equilibrium around the steady state(s).
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luís Francisco Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2004.
"Foreign Trade and Equilibrium Indeterminacy,"
NIPE Working Papers
5/2004, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Luis Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2005. "Foreign trade and equilibrium indeterminacy," Working Papers 2005-041, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Aguiar-Conraria, Luis & Wen, Yi, 2004. "Foreign Trade and Equilibrium Indeterminacy," Working Papers 04-09, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2007.
"Understanding the Large Negative Impact of Oil Shocks,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(4), pages 925-944, 06.
- Luis Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2006. "Understanding the large negative impact of oil shocks," Working Papers 2005-042, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Michener, Ronald & Ravikumar, B., 1998. "Chaotic dynamics in a cash-in-advance economy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 1117-1137, May.
- Aguiar-Conraria, Luís & Wen, Yi, 2008.
"A Note On Oil Dependence And Economic Instability,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(05), pages 717-723, November.
- Gardini, Laura & Hommes, Cars & Tramontana, Fabio & de Vilder, Robin, 2009.
"Forward and backward dynamics in implicitly defined overlapping generations models,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 110-129, August.
- Gardini, L. & Hommes, C.H. & Tramontana, F. & de Vilder, R., 2009. "Forward and Backward Dynamics in implicitly defined Overlapping Generations Models," CeNDEF Working Papers 09-02, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Laura Gardini & Cars Hommes & Fabio Tramontana & Robin de Vilder, 2008. "Forward and Backward Dynamics in Implicitly Defined Overlapping Generations Models," Working Papers 0806, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2008.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 1995.
"Balanced-budget rules, distortionary taxes, and aggregate instability,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
95-44, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martin, 1997. "Balanced-Budget Rules, Distortionary Taxes, and Aggregate Instability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(5), pages 976-1000, October.
- Stockman, David R., 2010. "Balanced-budget rules: Chaos and deterministic sunspots," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(3), pages 1060-1085, May.
- Julio I. Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1994.
"Energy Taxes and Aggregate Economic Activity,"
in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 8, pages 159-195
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:18296. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.