Bank transactions: pathway to the single tax ideal A modern tax technology;the Brazilian experience with a bank transactions tax (1993-2007)
Globalization is eroding the efficiency of conventional taxes, such as VAT´s (value added taxes). Meanwhile, a new form of taxation, levied on bank transactions, was successfully used in Brazil (1993-2007). Based on digital technology, this tax innovation proved to be evasion-proof, more efficient and less costly than orthodox tax models. Furthermore, the significant revenue-raising capacity of bank transactions taxation revived the centuries old ideal of the Single Tax. This book carries out a qualitative and quantitative in-depth comparison of the efficiency, equity and compliance costs of a bank transactions tax relative to orthodox tax systems, and opens new perspectives for the use of modern banking technology in tax reform across the world.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo Fenochietto & Carola Pessino, 2000. "The Shared Value Added Tax. How it works and why it is the Best Tool for Optimal Fiscal Federalism in Countries with Consumption Based Taxes," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 176, Universidad del CEMA.
- Paul Bachman & Jonathan Haughton & Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Alfonso Sanchez-Penalver & David G. Tuerck, 2006. "Taxing Sales Under the FairTax: What Rate Works?," NBER Working Papers 12732, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Trandel, Greg & Snow, Arthur, 1999. "Progressive income taxation and the underground economy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 217-222, February.
- Richard Bird & Pierre-Pascal Gendron, 2000. "CVAT, VIVAT, and Dual VAT: Vertical ``Sharing'' and Interstate Trade," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 7(6), pages 753-761, December.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1976. "Optimal taxation : An introduction to the literature," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 37-54.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521629560 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joel Slemrod, 1989.
"Optimal Taxation and Optimal Tax Systems,"
NBER Working Papers
3038, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Tobin, 1978.
"A Proposal for International Monetary Reform,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
506, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hahn, Frank H., 1973. "On optimum taxation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 96-106, February.
- Richard E. Wagner, 2002. "Some Institutional Problematics of Excess Burden Analytics," Public Finance Review, , vol. 30(6), pages 531-545, November.
- TamÃ¡s K. Papp & ElÃ¶d TakÃ¡ts, 2008. "Tax Rate Cuts and Tax Compliance; The Laffer Curve Revisited," IMF Working Papers 08/7, International Monetary Fund.
- Isaias Coelho & Victoria P. Summers & Liam P. Ebrill, 2001. "Bank Debit Taxes in Latin America; An Analysis of Recent Trends," IMF Working Papers 01/67, International Monetary Fund.
- Sérgio Mikio Koyama & Márcio I. Nakane, 2001. "Os Efeitos da CPMF sobre a Intermediação Financeira," Working Papers Series 23, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Edgar L. Feige, 2004. "How Big IS the Irregular Economy?," Macroeconomics 0404005, EconWPA.
- Kay, John A, 1990. "Tax Policy: A Survey," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(399), pages 18-75, March.
- Nogueira, José Ricardo & Siqueira, Rozane Bezerra de & de Souza, Evaldo Santana, 2001. "A Incidência Final dos Impostos Indiretos no Brasil: Efeitos da Tributação de Insumos," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 55(4), September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:16710. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.