Emerging food demand behaviors in Malaysia: Incorporating quality effects in demand analyses
In this study, the focus is on analyzing food demand behaviors in Malaysia. To be more specific, this study intends to estimate demand elasticities for twelve food categories with incorporation of food quality effects in the demand analyses. This study analyses the data from the Household Expenditure Survey 2004/2005 by Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System (LA/AIDS) and unit value function. The estimated expenditure elasticities indicate that there will be growing demand for all the food categories, especially meat, fish, vegetables, oils and fats, and fruits. The own-price elasticities for rice, eggs, beverage, and oils & fats are more elastic than the rest of the food categories. This study also shows that there is quality effect in food demand.
|Date of creation:||11 Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1995. "Units of Measurement and the 'Stone Index' In Demand System Estimation," Staff General Research Papers 5058, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Akira Ishida & Siong-Hook Law & Yoshihisa Aita, 2003. "Changes in food consumption expenditure in Malaysia," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 61-76.
- Tey Yeong Sheng & Mad Nasir Shamsudin & Zainalabidin Mohamed & Amin Mahir Abdullah & Alias Radam, 2008. "A Complete Demand System of Food in Malaysia," The IUP Journal of Agricultural Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(3), pages 17-29, July.
- Huang, Kuo S. & Lin, Biing-Hwan, 2000. "Estimation Of Food Demand And Nutrient Elasticities From Household Survey Data," Technical Bulletins 33579, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Huang, Kuo S. & Lin, Biing-Hwan, 2000. "Estimation of Food Demand Nutrient Elasticities from household Survey Data," Technical Bulletins 184370, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:14832. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.