Food Consumption Behavior Of The Malays In Malaysia
The objective of this study is to provide an insight into demand patterns of Malay consumers for specific food categories in Malaysia. By utilizing Household Expenditure Survey 2004/2005, a system of equations of Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System (LA/AIDS) model for 12 aggregated food products is estimated using a two-step estimation procedure. A Working-lesser form of Engel function is also estimated to derive income elasticities from the estimated expenditure elasticities. This study shows that Malay consumers appear to have different food consumption patterns as compared to the general Malaysian diets. Malay consumers tend to increase their consumption of rice more than higher-value (meat and fish) and functional (vegetables and fruits) foods. Malay consumers are found to be very sensitive to the own-price of most of the food products, especially rice.
Volume (Year): 16 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Jalan Gombak, 53100 Kuala Lumpur|
Phone: (603) 6196 4770
Fax: (603) 6196 4850
Web page: http://www.iium.edu.my/enmjournal/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alston, Julian M & Foster, Kenneth A & Green, Richard D, 1994. "Estimating Elasticities with the Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System: Some Monte Carlo Results," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 351-56, May.
- Pomboza, Ruth & Mbaga, Msafiri Daudi, 2007. "The Estimation of Food Demand Elasticities in Canada," Economic and Market Information 52705, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.
- John L. Park & Rodney B. Holcomb & Kellie Curry Raper & Oral Capps, 1996. "A Demand Systems Analysis of Food Commodities by U.S. Households Segmented by Income," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 290-300.
- Eric J. Wailes & Gail L. Cramer, 1997. "A Microeconometric Analysis of Consumer Taste Determination and Taste Change for Beef," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 573-582.
- Frank Asche & Cathy R. Wessells, 1997. "On Price Indices in the Almost Ideal Demand System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1182-1185.
- Tey Yeong Sheng & Mad Nasir Shamsudin & Zainalabidin Mohamed & Amin Mahir Abdullah & Alias Radam, 2008. "A Complete Demand System of Food in Malaysia," The IUP Journal of Agricultural Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(3), pages 17-29, July.
- Wen S. Chern & Kimiko Ishibashi & Kiyoshi Taniguchi & Yuki Tokoyama, 2002. "Analysis of Food Consumption Behavior by Japanese Households," Working Papers 02-06, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ije:journl:v:16:y:2008:i:2:p:209-219. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gairuzazmi Mat Ghani)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.