On the J-test for nonnested hypotheses and Bayesian extension
Abstract Davidson and MacKinnon’s J-test was developed to test non-nested model specification. In empirical applications, however, when the alternate specifications fit the data well the J test may fail to distinguish between the true and false models: the J test will either reject, or fail to reject both specifications. In such cases we show that it is possible to use the information generated in the process of applying the J-test to implement a Bayesian approach that provides an unequivocal and acceptable solution. Jeffreys’ Bayes factors offer ways of obtaining the posterior probabilities of the competing models and relative ranking of the competing hypotheses. We further show that by using approximations of Schwarz Information Criterion and Bayesian Information Criterion we can use the classical estimates of the log of the maximum likelihood which are available from the estimation procedures used to implement the J test to obtain Bayesian posterior odds and posterior probabilities of the competing nested and non- nested specifications without having to specify prior distributions and going through the rigorous Bayesian computations.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1981.
"Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 781-93, May.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1980. "Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses," Working Papers 378, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, R. & Mackinnon, J.G., 1997.
"Bootstrap Tests of Nonnested Linear Regression Models,"
ASSET - Instituto De Economia Publica
170, ASSET (Association of Southern European Economic Theorists).
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 2002. "Bootstrap J tests of nonnested linear regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 167-193, July.
- Davidson, R. & Mackinnon, J. G., 1995. "Bootstrap Tests of Nonnested Linear Regression Models," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 97a25, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1980.
"Some Non-Nested Hypothesis Tests and the Relations Among Them,"
409, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1982. "Some Non-Nested Hypothesis Tests and the Relations among Them," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 551-65, October.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:14637. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.