Design in practice: bridging the gap between design and use dichotomies in practice-based studies
Various trends related to technology, organizations and environment have resulted in fuzzy differences between 'design' and 'use' or 'designers' and 'end-users'. But despite the growing intricacy between the ICT design and organizational practice, the bulk of the IS literature still enact classic dichotomies “design-use”. First, in order to synthesize the current IS literature aiming at overcoming design-use dichotomies, the authors suggest two notions: Design In Use (DIU) and Design In Making (DIM). Four DIU-DIM configurations are also put forward before introducing Jean-Daniel Reynaud's Regulation Theory as a relevant framework to put them in broader sociotechnical perspective. Then, in order to test and refine the resulting theoretical framework, two case studies are presented: case A on an e-learning system in a French university, and case B on a loan management system in a Latvian bank. Lastly, the authors discuss the limitations, contributions and perspectives of this work.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Lynne Markus & Daniel Robey, 1988. "Information Technology and Organizational Change: Causal Structure in Theory and Research," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(5), pages 583-598, May.
- Orlikowski, Wanda J. (Wanda Janina)., 1992. "Learning from notes : organizational issues in groupware implementation," Working papers #134. Working paper (Sloa, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Leonard-Barton, Dorothy, 1988. "Implementation as mutual adaptation of technology and organization," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 251-267, October.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4816 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wanda Orlikowski, 1992. "Learning from NOTES: Organizational Issues in Groupware Implementation," Working Paper Series 134, MIT Center for Coordination Science.
- François-Xavier De Vaujany, 2003. "Les figures de la gestion du changement sociotechnique," Post-Print hal-00644422, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:1313. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.