The model of the linear city under a triangular distribution of consumers: an empirical analysis on price and location of beverage kiosks in Catania
This paper presents a model of oligopolistic competition under horizontal differentiation of products and a triangular distribution of consumers. The triangular distribution aims to represent a case of concentration of consumers around the central location. The main result is that a good deal of differentiation among products is achieved also under such assumption concerning the consumers’ distribution. This means that the incentive to differentiate – to some extent - prevails on the incentive to the central location, although consumers are concentrated in the central location. The analysis on an original empirical case-study is presented, concerning the choice of beverage retails in a town. The empirical evidence is consistent with the theoretical model.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Simon P. & Goeree, Jacob K. & Ramer, Roald, 1997. "Location, Location, Location," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 102-127, November.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, J. & Thisse, J. -F., 1979. "Price competition, quality and income disparities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 340-359, June.
- Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1986. "On the Nature of Competition with Differentiated Products," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(381), pages 160-72, March.
- Marcella Scrimitore, 2003. "Symmetric and Asymmetric Equilibria in a Spatial Duopoly," ERSA conference papers ersa03p194, European Regional Science Association.
- Corrado Benassi & Roberto Cellini & Alessandra Chirco, 1999. "Market power under income polarization," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 69(3), pages 289-298, October.
- Corrado Benassi & Alessandra Chirco, 2008. "An elasticity approach to equilibrium and preference concentration in the Hotelling game," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 94(2), pages 125-141, July.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Jehiel, Philippe, 1992. "Product differentiation and price collusion," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 633-641, December.
- Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2002.
"The Importance of the Distribution of Consumers in Horizontal Product Differentiation,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 793-803.
- Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Zenou, Yves, 2001. "The Importance of the Distribution of Consumers in Horizontal Product Differentiation," CEPR Discussion Papers 3031, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1989. "Symmetric equilibrium existence and optimality in differentiated product markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 178-194, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:12694. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.