Asia-Pacific telecommunications liberalisation and productivity performance
This study examines the growth in total factor productivity (TFP) of 12 Asia-Pacific telecommunications carriers for the period 1987 through 1990. Carriers are chosen to represent the stages of telecommunications liberalisation identified by the International Telecommunication Union (1995a). A model relating TFP growth to output growth, changes in output mix, technology change and market competition and private ownership is estimated on a unique data set obtained from telecommunications carrier annual reports. Empirical results show competition, private ownership, technology change and scale economies improve carrier TFP growth.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Australian Economic Papers 42.1(2003): pp. 91-102|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Madden, Gary G & Savage, Scott J, 2000.
"Market structure, competition, and pricing in United States international telephone service markets,"
11161, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gary Madden & Scott J. Savage, 2000. "Market Structure, Competition, and Pricing in United States International Telephone Service Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 291-296, May.
- Gort, Michael & Sung, Nakil, 1999. "Competition and Productivity Growth: The Case of the U.S. Telephone Industry," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 37(4), pages 678-91, October.
- Megginson, William L & Nash, Robert C & van Randenborgh, Matthias, 1994. " The Financial and Operating Performance of Newly Privatized Firms: An International Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 403-52, June.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Zhang, Yimin, 1995. "Competition and Allocative Efficiency: The Case of the U.S. Telephone Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 82-96, February.
- Gary Madden & Scott Savage, 2001. "Productivity Growth And Market Structure In Telecommunications," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(6), pages 493-512.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:10884. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.