How to Reduce Unemployment: Notes on Macro-Economic Stability and Dynamics
In this paper, I explore the out-of-equilibrium macro-economic dynamic behaviour of the Farmer’s (2010d) ME-NA model. Specifically, preserving the assumption that microeconomic adjustments are instantaneous, I build a dynamic model in continuous time that describes the macro-economic adjustments of the value of output and the interest rate. Within this framework, I show that the model economy has a unique stationary solution whose dynamics is locally stable. Moreover, simulating the model economy under the baseline calibration, I show that the adjustments towards the steady-state equilibrium occur through endogenous convergent oscillations while the most promising way out from a finance-induced recession combines a fiscal expansion with interventions aimed at altering the trade-off between holding risky and safe assets.
|Date of creation:||10 Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 050 22 16 466
Fax: +39 050 22 16 384
Web page: http://www.ec.unipi.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamond, Peter A, 1982.
"Aggregate Demand Management in Search Equilibrium,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(5), pages 881-94, October.
- Farmer, Roger, 2010. "Expectations, Employment and Prices," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195397901.
- Farmer, Roger E A, 2009. "Fiscal Policy Can Reduce Unemployment: But There is a Better Alternative," CEPR Discussion Papers 7526, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roger E. A. Farmer, 2012.
"Confidence, Crashes and Animal Spirits,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(559), pages 155-172, 03.
- Marco Guerrazzi, 2010. "Stochastic Dynamics and Matching in the Old Keynesian Economics: A Rationale for the Shimer's Puzzle," Discussion Papers 2010/95, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Chang, Winston W & Smyth, David J, 1972. "Stability and Instability of IS-LM Equilibrium," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(3), pages 372-84, November.
- Farmer, Roger E.A., 2010. "How to reduce unemployment: A new policy proposal," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(5), pages 557-572, July.
- Varian, Hal R, 1977. " The Stability of a Disequilibrium IS-LM Model," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 79(2), pages 260-70.
- Roger E. A. Farmer, 2008.
"Aggregate demand and supply,"
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 4(1), pages 77-93.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Paolo Gelain & Marco Guerrazzi, 2010. "A DSGE Model from the Old Keynesian Economics: An Empirical Investigation," CDMA Working Paper Series 201014, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pie:dsedps:2010/106. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.