Salient Features of Social Accounting Matrix of Pakistan for 1989-90: Disaggregation of the Households Sector
This report compiles a latest social accounting matrix (SAM) of Pakistan for the year 1989-90. The SAM framework provides useful information about the structure of Pakistan’s economy. Within this framework, the preferred classifications of various accounts are undertaken according to the policy objectives and later model building. The SAM presents four types of accounts: factor account, institution account, production account, and capital account. Theses accounts are disaggregated on the basis of requirement and availability of data. The account of factors of production is disaggregated into labour and capital. Institution accounts consist of households, firms, government, and rest of the world. Household account is further disaggregated by four income categories for rural and urban areas. Production account is disaggregated into agriculture, industry, education, health and other sectors. Further disaggregation of production account is also made on the basis of goods for domestic market and for export market. Finally, it presents consolidated capital account. This study also aims to undertake a multiplier analysis, which provides backward and forward linkages in production, consumption, distribution, and accumulation accounts of the economy. The multipliers for all endogenous accounts imply a high degree of integration of the accounts. For the production sectors, backward linkages are strongest for the education, followed by agriculture, health, other sector and industry. The largest forward linkage multipliers are found for industry, followed by other sectors, agriculture, health and education. Regarding the households income groups, the largest backward linkage is found for the urban poorest and smallest for the rural rich. While, the largest forward linkage is for the rural poorest and smallest for the urban poorest.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohammad Saleem & Tariq Mahmood & Nighat Parveen & Mohammad Ali Qasim, 1983. "P.I.D.E. Input-Output Table of Pakistan's Economy: 1975-76," PIDE-Working Papers 1983:139, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Pyatt, Graham & Round, Jeffrey I, 1977. "Social Accounting Matrices for Development Planning," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 23(4), pages 339-64, December.
- Pyatt, F Graham & Round, Jeffery I, 1979. "Accounting and Fixed Price Multipliers in a Social Accounting Matrix Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 850-73, December.
- Robinson, Sherman, 1989. "Multisectoral models," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 885-947 Elsevier.
- James, Jeffrey & Khan, Haider A., 1993.
"The employment effects of an income redistribution in developing countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 817-827, May.
- James, M.J. & Khan, H.A., 1993. "The employment effects of an income redistribution in developing countries," Other publications TiSEM 4d5f3f30-82ec-4939-8341-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Iqbal, Z., 1996. "Three-gap analysis of structural adjustment in Pakistan," Other publications TiSEM aeeac5ac-5ac4-4069-a07e-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Pyatt, Graham, 1985. "Commodity Balances and National Accounts: A SAM Perspective," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 31(2), pages 155-69, June.
- Pyatt, Graham, 1991. "SAMs, the SNA and National Accounting Capabilities," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(2), pages 177-98, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:mimaps:1999:01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.