Triangulation Framework for Local Service Delivery
How should local service delivery of public goods and services be improved for desirable development outcomes? This paper attempts at answering this question by providing a framework for improving local service delivery. It argues that improving local service delivery is a function of triangulating delivery of any public goods and services through their policy, institutional, and financial characteristics; zeroing in on their interdependence and normative dimensions; the effectiveness of institutions and capabilities and productivity of their actors; and the role of governance against the backdrop of development constraints and supported by opportunities for reforms. It further argues that institutions and their actors take the primordial role in improving local service delivery especially in cases of policy gaps and financial inadequacies. Corollary argument is that governance--both institutional and democratic--is the key in helping catalyze institutional change and improving service provision to achieve such goals as quality of life, empowered citizenry, and responsive leadership based on normative entitlements. The values (rights, equity, quality, and sustainability) and elements/principles of governance (efficiency, participation, transparency, accountability, and predictability) both lay the groundwork for delivering goods and services, as well as serve as indicators in assessing local service delivery. In other words, improving local service delivery is a function of the triangulation of policy, institutions, and finance within value-based and principle-oriented governance framework.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yap, Josef T. & Cabalfin, Michael R., 2008.
"Sustainable Development Framework for Local Governance,"
DP 2008-33, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Michael R. Cabalfin & Josef T. Yap, 2008. "Sustainable Development Framework for Local Governance," Development Economics Working Papers 22624, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Michael R. Cabalfin & Josef T. Yap, 2008. "Sustainable Development Framework for Local Governance," Governance Working Papers 22619, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Rosario G. Manasan & Eden C. Villanueva, 2006. "Gems in LGU Fiscal Management : a Compilation of Good Practices," Development Economics Working Papers 22658, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Uchimura, Hiroko & Suzuki, Yurika, 2009. "Measuring Fiscal Decentralization in the Philippines," IDE Discussion Papers 209, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Pierre, Jon (ed.), 2000. "Debating Governance: Authority, Steering, and Democracy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198297727, March.
- Manasan, Rosario G., 2004. "Local Public Finance in the Philippines: In Search of Autonomy with Accountability," Discussion Papers DP 2004-42, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Quibria, M.G., 2002. "Growth and Poverty: Lessons from the East Asian Miracle Revisited," MPRA Paper 2638, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Douglass C North & John Joseph Wallis & Barry R. Weingast, 2006. "A Conceptual Framework for Interpreting Recorded Human History," NBER Working Papers 12795, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rouselle F. Lavado & Leizel P. Lagrada, 2008.
"Are Maternal and Child Care Programs Reaching the Poorest Regions in the Philippines?,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22642, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Lavado, Rouselle F. & Lagrada, Leizel P., 2008. "Are Maternal and Child Care Programs Reaching the Poorest Regions in the Philippines?," Discussion Papers DP 2008-30, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Manasan, Rosario G. & Villanueva-Ruiz, Eden C., 2006. "Gems in LGU Fiscal Management: a Compilation of Good Practices," Discussion Papers DP 2006-16, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Johannes P. Jütting, 2003. "Institutions and Development: A Critical Review," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 210, OECD Publishing.
- Yap, Josef T. & Cuenca, Janet S. & Reyes, Celia M., 2009. "Impact of the Global Financial and Economic Crisis on the Philippines," Discussion Papers DP 2009-30, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Aoki, Masahiko, 2007. "Endogenizing institutions and institutional changes," Journal of Institutional Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(01), pages 1-31, April.
- Kingston, Christopher & Caballero, Gonzalo, 2009. "Comparing theories of institutional change," Journal of Institutional Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(02), pages 151-180, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_2009-37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.