A Review of the Components of the Medium-Term National Action Agenda for Productivity: An Integrative Report
In 1996, a blueprint on the integrated approach towards improving total factor productivity (TFP) in the Philippines was formulated in a document called the National Action Agenda for Productivity: 1997-1998 (NAAP). NAAP achieved modest accomplishments. Thus, there is a need to continue and build on its maiden achievements in order to remove productivity-enhancing barriers both at the sectoral and national level. In support of this objective, The Medium-Term National Action Agenda for Productivity: 2000-2004 (MNAAP) was formulated to promote a globally-competitive Philippine agriculture, industry, and services which will lead to the generation of more jobs, sustained income growth, and poverty alleviation. This vision is consistent with the Medium-Term Philippine Development Plan: 1999-2004 (MTPDP) or Angat Pinoy. In achieving its vision, MNAAP has identified five key result areas which should be the focus of its critical activities: (1) science and technology, (2) human resource and labor-management relations, (3) efficiency of product markets, (4) infrastructure, and (5) public sector governance. This report reviews the framework of the MNAAP and the individual components and items in the Program in order to see whether they can indeed address specific problems at the sectoral level. To achieve this objective, different sectoral papers related to various components of the MNAAP are synthesized and integrated in this report. Various issues and gaps are identified relative to the MNAAP framework; and areas for future research are suggested in order to enhance the country’s overall productivity agenda.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Park, Seung-Rok & Kwon, Jene K, 1995. "Rapid Economic Growth with Increasing Returns to Scale and Little or No Productivity Growth," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(2), pages 332-51, May.
- Cororaton, Caesar B. & Caparas, Maria Teresa, 1999. "Total Factor Productivity: Estimates for Philippine Economy," Discussion Papers DP 1999-06, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Cororaton, Caesar B. & Endriga, Benjamin & Ornedo, Derrick & Chua, Consolacion, 1995. "Estimation of Total Factor Productivity of Philippine Manufacturing Industries: The Estimates," Discussion Papers DP 1995-32, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Kim Jong-Il & Lau Lawrence J., 1994. "The Sources of Economic Growth of the East Asian Newly Industrialized Countries," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 235-271, September.
- Austria, Myrna S., 1998. "Productivity Growth in the Philippines After the Industrial Reforms," Discussion Papers DP 1998-26, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Alwyn Young, 1992. "A Tale of Two Cities: Factor Accumulation and Technical Change in Hong Kong and Singapore," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1992, Volume 7, pages 13-64 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cororaton, Caesar B. & Endriga, Benjamin & Ornedo, Derrick & Chua, Consolacion, 1995. "Total Factor Productivity of Philippine Manufacturing Industries," Philippine Journal of Development JPD 1995 Vol. XXII No. 2-, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Lau, Lawrence J. & Yotopoulos, Pan A., 1989. "The meta-production function approach to technological change in world agriculture," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 241-269, October.
- Williamson, Jeffrey G, 1971. "Relative Price Changes, Adjustment Dynamics, and Productivity Growth: The Case of Philippine Manufacturing," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(4), pages 507-26, July.
- Gerardo P. Sicat, 1968. "Industrial Production Function in the Philippines," UP School of Economics Discussion Papers 196818, University of the Philippines School of Economics.
- Felipe, J., 1997.
"Total Factor Productivity Growth in East Asia: A Critical Survey,"
65, Asian Development Bank.
- Jesus Felipe, 1999. "Total factor productivity growth in East Asia: A critical survey," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(4), pages 1-41.
- Epictetus Patalinghug, 1984. "Labor Quality and Growth Accounting: The Philippines," Philippine Review of Economics, University of the Philippines School of Economics and Philippine Economic Society, vol. 21(3&4), pages 201-217, September.
- Epictetus Patalinghug, 1980. "Sectoral Output, Input and Productivity," Philippine Review of Economics, University of the Philippines School of Economics and Philippine Economic Society, vol. 17(3&4), pages 23-54, September.
- Young, Alwyn, 1994. "Lessons from the East Asian NICS: A contrarian view," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 964-973, April.
- Manasan, Rosario G., 2000. "Public Sector Governance and the Medium-Term National Action Agenda for Productivity (MNAAP)," Discussion Papers DP 2000-24, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_2000-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.