Does graph disclosure bias reduce the cost of equity capital?
Research on disclosure and capital markets focuses primarily on the amount of information provided but pays little attention to the presentation format of this information. This paper examines the impact of graph utilization and graph quality (distortion) on the cost of equity capital, controlling for the interaction between disclosure and graph distortion. Despite the advantages of graphs in communicating information, our results show that graphutilization does not have a significant impact on users' decisions. However we observe a significant (negative) association between graph distortion and the ex-ante cost of equity. This effect though, disappears if we use realised returns as a measure of ex-post cost of equity. Moreover, we find that disclosure and graph distortion interact so that the impact of disclosure on the cost of capital depends on graph integrity. For low level of overall disclosure, graph distortion reduces the ex-ante cost of equity. However for high level of disclosure graph distortion increases the ex-ante cost of equity.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 +49 8274210
Fax: +39 +49 827.4211
Web page: http://www.decon.unipd.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2005.
"Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches,"
NBER Working Papers
11280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2009. "Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(1), pages 435-480, January.
- David Easley & Maureen O'hara, 2004. "Information and the Cost of Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(4), pages 1553-1583, 08.
- M. Gietzmann & J. Ireland, 2005. "Cost of Capital, Strategic Disclosures and Accounting Choice," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(3-4), pages 599-634.
- James L. Davis & Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, 2000.
"Characteristics, Covariances, and Average Returns: 1929 to 1997,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 389-406, 02.
- James L. Davis & Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, . "Characteristics, Covariances, and Average Returns: 1929 to 1997," CRSP working papers 359, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- H.S. Shin, 1994. "News Management and the Value of Firms," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(1), pages 58-71, Spring.
- Valeri Nikolaev & Laurence van Lent, 2005. "The endogeneity bias in the relation between cost-of-debt capital and corporate disclosure policy," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 677-724.
- Robert E. Verrecchia & Christian Leuz, 1999. "The Economic Consequences of Increased Disclosure," Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting 41, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Beattie, Vivien & Jones, Michael John, 2001. "A six-country comparison of the use of graphs in annual reports," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 195-222, 05.
- Desanctis, Gerardine & Jarvenpaa, Sirkka L., 1989. "Graphical presentation of accounting data for financial forecasting: An experimental investigation," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 14(5-6), pages 509-525, October.
- Nikolaev, V. & van Lent, L.A.G.M., 2005. "The endogeneity bias in the relation between cost-of-debt capital and corporate disclosure policy," Other publications TiSEM 04869b30-e8a9-4ecf-84ae-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Jayne Godfrey & Paul Mather & Alan Ramsay, 2003. "Earnings and Impression Management in Financial Reports: The Case of CEO Changes," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 39(1), pages 95-123.
- Nikolaev, V. & van Lent, L.A.G.M., 2005. "The Endogeneity Bias in the Relation Between Cost-of-Debt Capital and Corporate Disclosure Policy," Discussion Paper 2005-67, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pad:wpaper:0039. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raffaele Dei Campielisi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.