A Nonparametric Analysis of the Cournot Model
An observer makes a number of observations of an industry producing a homogeneous good. Each observation consists of the market price, the output of individual firms and perhaps information on each firm's production cost. We provide various tests (typically, linear programs) with which the observer can determine if the data set is consistent with the hypothesis that firms in this industry are playing a Cournot game at each observation. When cost information is wholly or partially unavailable, these tests could potentially be used to derive cost information on the firms. This paper is a contribution to the literature that aims to characterize (in various contexts) the restrictions that a data set must satisfy for it to be consistent with Nash outcomes in a game. It is also inspired by the seminal result of Afriat (and the subsequent literature) which addresses similar issues in the context of consumer demand, though one important technical difference from most of these results is that the objective functions of firms in a Cournot game are not necessarily quasiconcave.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manor Rd. Building, Oxford, OX1 3UQ|
Web page: http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrés Carvajal, .
"Testable Restrictions of Nash Equilibrium in Games with Continuous Domains,"
Borradores de Economia
229, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Andrés Carvajal, 2003. "Testable Restrictions of Nash Equilibrium in Games with Continuous Domains," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003555, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Andrés Carvajal, 2004. "Testable Restrictions of Nash Equilibrium in Games with Continuous Domains," Royal Holloway, University of London: Discussion Papers in Economics 04/26, Department of Economics, Royal Holloway University of London, revised Nov 2004.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Kubler, Felix, 2003. "Observable restrictions of general equilibrium models with financial markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 137-153, May.
- Matzkin, Rosa L, 1991. "Axioms of Revealed Preference for Nonlinear Choice Sets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1779-86, November.
- Carvajal, Andres, 2004.
"Testable restrictions on the equilibrium manifold under random preferences,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 121-143, February.
- Andrés Carvajal, 2003. "Testable Restrictions On The Equilibrium Manifold Under Random Preferences," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 001899, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Andrés Carvajal, . "Testable Restrictions on the Equilibrium Manifold under Random Preferences," Borradores de Economia 233, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Carvajal, Andres & Ray, Indrajit & Snyder, Susan, 2004. "Equilibrium behavior in markets and games: testable restrictions and identification," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 1-40, February.
- Andrés Carvajal, 2010. "The testable implications of competitive equilibrium in economies with externalities," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 349-378, October.
- Indrajit Ray & Lin Zhou, .
"Game Theory Via Revealed Preferences,"
00/15, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Forges, Françoise & Minelli, Enrico, 2009.
"Afriat's theorem for general budget sets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 135-145, January.
- Sprumont, Yves, 2000. "On the Testable Implications of Collective Choice Theories," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 205-232, August.
- Brown, Donald J & Matzkin, Rosa L, 1996.
"Testable Restrictions on the Equilibrium Manifold,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1249-62, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oxf:wpaper:465. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Birds)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.