Cooperation in Strategic Games Revisited
For two-person complete-information strategic games with transferable utility, all major variable-threat bargaining and arbitration solutions coincide. This confluence of solutions by luminaries such as Nash, Harsanyi, Raiffa, and Selten, is more than mere coincidence. Staying in the class of two-person games with transferable unility, the present paper presents a more complete theory that expands their solution. Speci cally, it presents: (1) a decomposition of a game into cooperative and competitive components, (2) an intuitive and computable closed-form formula for the solution, (3) an axiomatic justi cation of the solution, and (4) a generalization of the solution to games with private signals, along with an arbitration scheme that implements it. The objective is to restart research on cooperative solutions to strategic games and their applications.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/math/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521027038 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bernard De Meyer & Ehud Lehrer & Dinah Rosenberg, 2009.
"Evaluating information in zero-sum games with incomplete information on both sides,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
09035, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Bernard De Meyer & Ehud Lehrer & Dinah Rosenberg, 2009. "Evaluating information in zero-sum games with incomplete information on both sides," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00390625, HAL.
- de Clippel, Geoffroy & Minelli, Enrico, 2004.
"Two-person bargaining with verifiable information,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 799-813, November.
- DE CLIPPEL, Geoffroy & MINELLI, Enrico, . "Two-person bargaining with verifiable information," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1733, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- de CLIPPEL, Geoffroy & MINELLI, Enrico, 2002. "Two-person bargaining with verifiable information," CORE Discussion Papers 2002063, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nwu:cmsems:1512. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fran Walker)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.