An axiomatization of the leveling tax-transfer policy
We show that the leveling tax-transfer policy is the only consistent policy that exploits the maximum allowed transfers, as long as these are no more than the amount sufficient to equalize after-tax incomes. The leveling policy stands in contrast to equal sacrifice policies, which are also consistent but do not conduct any transfers.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Nir Dagan, Dept. of Economics and Management, Tel-Hai Academic College, Upper Galilee, Israel.|
Web page: http://www.nirdagan.com/research/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Thomson, 2012.
"Lorenz rankings of rules for the adjudication of conflicting claims,"
Springer, vol. 50(3), pages 547-569, August.
- William Thomson, 2007. "Lorenz rankings of rules for the adjudication of conflicting claims," RCER Working Papers 538, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Lensberg, Terje, 1988. "Stability and the Nash solution," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 330-341, August.
- Lensberg, Terje, 1987. "Stability and Collective Rationality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 935-61, July.
- Thomson William, 1994. "Consistent Solutions to the Problem of Fair Division When Preferences Are Single-Peaked," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 219-245, August.
- Thomson, W., 1998.
"Consistency and its Converse: an Introduction,"
RCER Working Papers
448, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Chun-Hsien Yeh, 2006. "Protective Properties and the Constrained Equal Awards Rule for Claims Problems: A Note," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 221-230, October.
- Lahiri, Somdeb, 2001.
"Axiomatic characterizations of the CEA solution for rationing problems,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 162-170, May.
- Lahiri Somdeb, . "Axiomatic Characterizations of the CEA Solution for Rationing Problems," IIMA Working Papers WP1999-02-03, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Young, H. P., 1988. "Distributive justice in taxation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 321-335, April.
- Peleg, B, 1986. "On the Reduced Game Property and Its Converse," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 187-200.
- Peleg, Bezalel, 1985. "An axiomatization of the core of cooperative games without side payments," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 203-214, April.
- Thomson, William, 1988. "A study of choice correspondences in economies with a variable number of agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 237-254, December.
- Aumann, Robert J. & Maschler, Michael, 1985. "Game theoretic analysis of a bankruptcy problem from the Talmud," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 195-213, August.
- Nir Dagan, 1996.
"New Characterizations of Old Bankruptcy Rules,"
Economic theory and game theory
002, Nir Dagan.
- Thomson, William, 2003. "Axiomatic and game-theoretic analysis of bankruptcy and taxation problems: a survey," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 249-297, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nid:ndagan:020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nir Dagan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.