Antitrust Merger Policy: Lessons from the Australian Experience
A study of the operation of Australia's merger policy over the last twenty-seven years can yield lessons for countries that are contemplating the introduction of their own merger policy. If it is to be used to enhance value, merger policy should provide that any possible increase in monopoly power be weighed against any increases in efficiency. The process by which this is achieved should be undertaken with speed and secrecy so as not to deter efficiency-enhancing mergers. The twin requirements of speed and secrecy will, in turn, present problems in achieving fair process and the creation of precedent.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Ito, Takatoshi and Anne O. Krueger (eds.) Governance, regulation, and privatization in the Asia-Pacific region NBER-East Asia Seminar on Economics, vol. 12. Chicago and London: University of Chicago Press, 2004.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. William Schwert, 1994.
"Mark-Up Pricing in Mergers and Acquisitions,"
NBER Working Papers
4863, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Green, Edward J & Porter, Robert H, 1984.
"Noncooperative Collusion under Imperfect Price Information,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 87-100, January.
- Edward J Green & Robert H Porter, 1997. "Noncooperative Collusion Under Imperfect Price Information," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1147, David K. Levine.
- Green, Edward J. & Porter, Robert H., 1982. "Noncooperative Collusion Under Imperfect Price Information," Working Papers 367, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Cowling, Keith & Waterson, Michael, 1976. "Price-Cost Margins and Market Structure," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(171), pages 267-74, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:9600. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.