Regulation, Distribution Efficiency, and Retail Density
After outlining characteristics of Japan's distribution sector, a comprehensive international comparison of it to those of other nations is presented and analyzed for underlying differences. This leads to an explanation of Japan's retail store density, which is then related to the structure of wholesale channels. Next, some details on the Large Store Law of Japan and regulatory distortion, including empirical evidence on its extent are offered. Data on the structure of the retail sector by store format and on differences among prefectures in density and format are then presented.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Blomstrom, Magnus, Jennifer Corbett, Fumio Hayashi, and Anil Kashyap. Structural Impediments to Growth in Japan. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 2003.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Boylaud & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2001. "Regulatory reform in retail distribution," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(1), pages 253-274.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-713 is not listed on IDEAS
- Takatoshi Ito & Masayoshi Maruyama, 1991.
"Is the Japanese Distribution System Really Inefficient?,"
in: Trade with Japan: Has the Door Opened Wider?, pages 149-174
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takatoshi Ito & Masayoshi Maruyama, 1990. "Is the Japanese Distribution System Really Inefficient?," NBER Working Papers 3306, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flath, David, 2000.
"The Japanese Economy,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198775034, December.
- Geoffrey Heal, 1980. "Spatial Structure in the Retail Trade: A Study in Product Differentiation with Increasing Returns," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(2), pages 565-583, Autumn.
- David Flath & Tatsuhiko Nariu, 2008. "The Complexity of Wholesale Distribution Channels in Japan," Japanese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 35(2), pages 68-86, July.
- Dirk Pilat, 1997. "Regulation and Performance in the Distribution Sector," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 180, OECD Publishing.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1995. "Complementarities and fit strategy, structure, and organizational change in manufacturing," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 179-208, April.
- Flath, David & Nariu, Tatsuhiko, 1996. "Is Japan's Retail Sector Truly Distinctive?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 181-191, October.
- Flath, David, 1990. "Why are there so many retail stores in Japan?," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 365-386, December.
- Flath, David, 1989. "Vertical restraints in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 187-203, March.
- Gary S. Becker, 1983. "A Theory of Competition Among Pressure Groups for Political Influence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(3), pages 371-400.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:9450. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.