Market Access and Welfare Effects of Piecemeal Policy Reform
In a situation where tariff reforms are being negotiated between two parties aims to raise its exports and the other aims to raise its welfare, tariff cuts must be in the interest" of at least one party. It is possible for the interests of the two sides to conflict. Conflict is certain" if the excess demand for exported goods does not respond to changes in the prices of imported" goods. In this case, any policy which raises imports must also reduce welfare."
|Date of creation:||Nov 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Ju, Jiandong and Kala Krishna. "Welfare And Market Access Effects Of Piecemeal Tariff Reform," Journal of International Economics, 2000, v51(2,Aug), 305-316.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ju, J. & Krishna, K., 1996.
"market Access and Welfare Effects of Free Trade Areas without Rules of origin,"
2-96-1, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Jiandong Ju & Kala Krishna, 1996. "Market Access and Welfare Effects of Free Trade Areas without Rules of Origin," NBER Working Papers 5480, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jiandong Ju & Kala Krishna, . "Market Access and Welfare Effects of Free Trade Areas without Rules of Origin," EPRU Working Paper Series 96-03, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Ju, J. & Krishna, K., 1995. "Market Access and Welfare Effects of Free Trade Areas Without Rules of Origin," Papers 11-95-3a, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1977. "A Recommendation for a Better Tariff Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(8), pages 1859-69, November.
- Lopez, Ramon E. & Rodrik, Dani, 1990.
"Trade restrictions with imported intermediate inputs : When does the trade balance improve?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 329-338, November.
- Lopez, Ramon & Rodrik, Dani, 1989. "Trade restrictions with imported intermediate inputs : when does the trade balance improve?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 174, The World Bank.
- Lloyd, P. J., 1974. "A more general theory of price distortions in open economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 365-386, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:6294. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.