Explaining Domestic Content: Evidence from Japanese and U.S. Auto Production in the U.S
This paper studies the domestic content decisions of auto makers in the U.S. between 1984 and 1993 using foreign trade zone activity as a tool by which one can observe individual sourcing and production. The results show that although the domestic content of Japanese firms is rising, differences are not being eliminated completely. Also, the apparent elasticity of substitution is lower for Japanese than for U.S. firms. These results suggest that although transplant production may reduce the U.S. automotive deficit with Japan, transplant production will not cause its elimination.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as The Effects of US Trade Protection and Promotion Policies, R. Feenstra, ed.pp. 33-53, (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1997)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992.
"Protection for Sale,"
21-92, Tel Aviv.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1992. "Protection For Sale," NBER Working Papers 4149, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 1993. "Protection for Sale," CEPR Discussion Papers 827, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992. "Protection for Sale," Papers 162, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- C. Fred Bergsten & Marcus Noland, 1993. "Reconcilable Differences? United States-Japan Economic Conflict," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 34, January.
- Kala Krishna & Anne Krueger, 1995. "Implementing Free Trade Areas: Rules of Origin and Hidden Protection," NBER Working Papers 4983, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-71, June.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Scholarly Articles 3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Gene M., 1982. "Offshore assembly provisions and the structure of protection," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 301-312, May.
- Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & James R. Markusen & Thomas F. Rutherford, 1993. "Anti-Competitive and Rent-Shifting Aspects of Domestic-Content Provisions in Regional Trade Blocks," NBER Working Papers 4512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael W. Klein & Eric S. Rosengren, 1992.
"The real exchange rate and foreign direct investment in the United States: relative wealth vs. relative wage effects,"
92-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Klein, Michael W. & Rosengren, Eric, 1994. "The real exchange rate and foreign direct investment in the United States : Relative wealth vs. relative wage effects," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3-4), pages 373-389, May.
- Michael W. Klein & Eric Rosengren, 1992. "The Real Exchange Rate and Foreign Direct Investment in the United States: Relative Wealth vs. Relative Wage Effects," NBER Working Papers 4192, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Finger, J M, 1976. "Trade and Domestic Effects of the Offshore Assembly Provision in the U.S. Tariff," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 598-611, September.
- Mendez, JoseA., 1993. "The welfare effects of repealing the U.S. Offshore Assembly Provision," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 1-22, February.
- Giovannini, Alberto, 1988. "Exchange rates and traded goods prices," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 45-68, February.
- Louis T. Wells, Jr., 1992. "Conflict or Indifference: US Multinationals in a World of Regional Trading Blocs," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 57, OECD Publishing.
- Wilfred J. Ethier, 1986. "The Multinational Firm," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(4), pages 805-833.
- S. Lael Brainard, 1993. "An Empirical Assessment of the Proximity-Concentration Tradeoff between Multinational Sales and Trade," NBER Working Papers 4580, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:5495. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.