The Choice of Monetary Instrument in Two Interdependent Economies Under Uncertainty
This paper analyzes the choice of monetary instrument in a stochastic two country setting where each country's set of monetary policy instruments includes both the money supply and the interest rate. It shows how the optimal choice of instrument is determined In two stages. First, for each pair, the minimum welfare coat for each economy is determined This defines a par of payoff matrices and the second stage involves determining the Nash equilibrium for this bimatrix game. In our illustrative example for the alternative shocks considered, a dominant Nash equilibrium is always obtained.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1988|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 121-133, (1989).|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1984.
"Exchange Market Intervention Under Alternative Forms of Exogenous Disturbances,"
NBER Working Papers
1289, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1984. "Exchange market intervention under alternative forms of exogenous disturbances," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3-4), pages 279-297, November.
- Buiter,Willem H. & Marston,Richard C., 1986.
"International Economic Policy Coordination,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521337809, Junio.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J & d'Orey, Vasco, 1986.
"Monetary Policies in Interdependent Economies with Stochastic Disturbances: A Strategic Approach,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(383), pages 696-721, September.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky & Vasco d'Orey, 1986. "Monetary Policies in Interdependent Economies with Stochastic Disturbances: A Strategic Approach," NBER Working Papers 1824, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Gray, Jo Anna, 1985. "Monetary Policy Games and the Consequences of Non-cooperative Behavior," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(3), pages 547-64, October.
- Joshua Aizenman & Jacob A. Frenkel, 1984.
"Optimal Wage Indexation, Foreign-Exchange Intervention and Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
1329, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Frenkel, Jacob A, 1985. "Optimal Wage Indexation, Foreign Exchange Intervention, and Monetary Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 402-23, June.
- William Poole, 1970. "Optimal Choice of Monetary Policy Instruments in a Simple Stochastic Macro Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(2), pages 197-216.
- Joseph Farrell, 1987. "Cheap Talk, Coordination, and Entry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 18(1), pages 34-39, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:2604. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.