Incentive Effects of Price Rises and Payment-System Changes on Chinese Agricultural Productivity Growth
This paper analyzes the relative importance of the major factors underlying the post-1978 increase in China's agricultural productivity. We present a method for assessing the role of price increases and strengthened individual incentives due to the introduction of the responsibility system. Data on pre- and post-1978 Chinese agricultural performance are used to calculate incentive indices, giving the fraction of their marginal product that peasants received under the pre-1978 regime.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1987|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Journal of Political Economy, vol. 97 (4), August 1989, pp. 781-807."The Impact of China's Economic Reforms on Agricultural Productivity Growth"|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Theodore Groves & John O. Ledyard, 1985. "Incentive Compatibility Ten Years Later," Discussion Papers 648, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- McAfee, R Preston & McMillan, John, 1987. "Auctions and Bidding," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(2), pages 699-738, June.
- Lin, Justin Yifu, 1988. "The Household Responsibility System in China's Agricultural Reform: A Theoretical and Empirical Study," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(3), pages S199-224, Supplemen.
- Nicholas R. Lardy, 1986. "Prospects and Some Policy Problems of Agricultural Development in China," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 68(2), pages 451-457.
- Xavier Freixas & Roger Guesnerie & Jean Tirole, 1985. "Planning under Incomplete Information and the Ratchet Effect," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(2), pages 173-191.
- Oliver Hart & Bengt Holmstrom, 1986. "The Theory of Contracts," Working papers 418, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Macrae, John, 1977. "Production, distribution and economic organization : Income distribution and resource allocation at the team level in rural China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 365-385, November.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1976. "The Efficiency Wage Hypothesis, Surplus Labour, and the Distribution of Income in L.D.C.s," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(2), pages 185-207, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:2148. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.